• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think my bunny is unwell :-(

Bunny-love

Young Bun
Hi,

The last couple of days my bunny Fifi has been acting strange, she's normally active and loves to eat but she's now stopped eating and just sits in the same spot all day :-(

I'm really worried about her, does anyone have any idea what could be up?

I'm going to call the vet in the morning I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks for any advice,
Katrina & Fifi x

Your bunny is very unwell and will need to see a vet tonight.

Once a rabbit stops eating its condition can be fatal quite quickly, and time is of the essence.

Your rabbit will need pain relief, gut stimulant medication etc and a good check over by the vet. The quicker you act, the less intervention should be required, but please do not wait until tomorrow, as it could be too late:(

I've just gave her some cucumber and she ate that. Do you think I should still take her tonight? It's just I'd have to call the out of hours vets and it would cost me quite a lot of money. Of course if it's what she needs then I will do it.

Thanks.

If it's just a piece of cucumber she'd had, and she isn't eating normally (eating all her dinner, munching hay) then I would get her seen tonight by a vet. If she's been like this for 2 days that's pretty bad :( Has she been pooping? What are her poops like?

Yeah she is pooping loads, they are just like normal. A lightish brown, kinda firm and normal sized as always.

Ok, I'll call the vet :-( I hope she is ok.

I have 2 bunnies do you think if she is Ill it could make my other one unwell?

Thanks.

Is she drinking and weeing normally? I wonder if it's her teeth if she'll eat soft cucumber? Have you noticed her eating certain things and leaving others recently, like eating apple but leaving the skin?

Yeah she is drinking and peeing. Well she's stoped eating her pellets, but is still eating fruit. Actually I tried brocoli yesterday and she nibbled it a little then stopped eating it.

I was at the vets a couple months ago to get her vaccinations updated and she had a check-up then and was fine.

i would get her to the vets as soon as you can. teeth can go wrong very quickly and that would make eating hard food like pellets and hay agony. tonight go wet some of her pellets into mush with warm water and offer her that so she can at least get something down her but she MUST go to vet tomorrow if still not eating hard food. rabbits cannot cope with any degree of starvation- untreated you could lose her. really it would be best tonight but if you can't go tonight then at least go take her some wet food - rabbits will eat in dark so don't let that put you off.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. That's what I'll do!! She will be at the vets first thing!

Is there any way to prevent teeth going wrong other than giving them things to chew?

far as i can gather genetics plays a huge part- born with poorly aligned teeth means they go wrong but also a poor diet can mess them up. rabbits need mostly hay or grass as main part of diet - good hay given fresh every day not ratty stuff that they have been sat on for days, a small amount of pellets and a little applewood to chew. too many treats, not enough good hay can mess them up.

Do you have any fresh grass you can offer? Even if you have to annoy the rabbit to get it to eat, you must get the food down the bunny. This is V important. I'd get to the vet ASAP, but if you can get food down her it can wait til morning I hope. Good luck.

I've called the out of hours vet, so I'm going to take her to see them.

Thanks for all your help and advice :) I really appreciate it!

Hi, sorry I took so long to reply.

She's ok, the vet said he thinks she has an infection so she's on antibiotics :-( my poor baby.

She is getting better :-D She is eating again and running about, back to usual!

The only thing is it now seems like she has a cold or something, she keeps sneezing.

Sorry I missed this before, but glad your bunny is better. If she keeps sneezing I would take her back to the vet for another check.

Back