• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter trays and hay racks

bunbun5

Young Bun
So we currently don't have one for Monty but would like to introduce one (especially as his new hutch is on order:p) So what is the best to use? I have seen corner ones designed for rabbits but they don't look very accessable?

When he was a house bunny for 6mths we tried using an old washing up bowl but he never used it and there was poo and wee everywhere!!

So whats the answer?

I know most of you use newspaper and hay but what is the best receptacle and how do you get them to use it or does this come naturally?

Also on the look out for hay rack recommendations:D

Many thanks

I use a dog basket with newspaper and hay. They tend to use one half as a litter tray and eat their hay from the other half.They have a hay rack but don't really eat from it as they just enjoy getting their noses deep into the hay in their basket. I began by putting it in the corner they'd been using as a toilet and kept putting stray poos and bits of weed on paper in and they soon became very good at using it.

With my hutched buns I use a cat litter tray, the small coloured ones you can get from Wilkinsons :thumb:

They tend to have them in their 'bedroom' area since they don't sleep in them :roll:

When I had my oldie who lived in the shed, she had a washing up bowl which she loved :love: She was forever sleeping in it:thumb:

I don't use Hay racks in hutches, I (and the buns) prefer to have the Hay loose in the hutch

Joey has a large deep cat litter tray he had a smaller shallower one but it only lasted for a few hours till it needed changing which is no good while I was at work lol he doesn't have a hay rack thpugh

And to get them to go in I put hay in there otherwise they won't go in!

Last edited:
Back