• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could hay be causing Matilda's problems??

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
Well as some of you know matilda has constant urine problems, the vet mentioned something to do with calcium in her food/veg etc so ive stopped all veg and fruit for her, but now im wondering if its the hay, as someone mentions on here about hay having to much calcium, shes on meadow hay! and come to think of it, shes just yesturday had her uring soaked legs re appear, 1 day after I gave her fresh meadow hay!!

do you reckon its worth trialing no hay! bare in mind shes a pair with grayson so its gons be tricky! maybe just giving him the fresh hay, and waiting untill hes munched most of it then letter her have a little bit??

Personally I wouldn't trial No hay but I would definitely experiment with different varieties and types to see if you can minimise it before doing something as drastic as considering no hay.

I'd also be thinning that because something specific started her problems that calcium would not be a cause but could exacerbate it so I'd want to see what I could do about the cause too, if anything, and gain a better understanding of what actually did happen to her.

I would not stop all hay, you'll end up with a Rabbit with Dental and gut problems

What diagnostics has you Vet run ? What previous treatments and for how long ?

Is it just an assumption that 'too much calcium' is the problem ?

I would not stop all hay, you'll end up with a Rabbit with Dental and gut problems

What diagnostics has you Vet run ? What previous treatments and for how long ?

Is it just an assumption that 'too much calcium' is the problem ?

The first 3 times it was possible UTI but never definete, she felt her stomach and said that was clear, the 4th time, she had a urine test, which came bk unconclusive, apart from the fact it was very weak urine, from the amount of water she drinks!

She was on meloxidyl and marbocyl, aswell as some cream for the urine burns,

I can't remember exactly what the vet said she mentioned something about her not being able to break down calcuim or having to much, or something, so she said to stop fruit and veg

it comes and goes tho! its been gone for 3-4 weeks but now its back :/ so something is flaring it, I just don;t know what!

Last edited:
I would suggest that your Vet runs a full blood profile and also sends a wee sample off for detailed analysis.

Back