• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gone off food since this morning

Hi there, I have a normally very fit, happy, hopping mini-lop rabbit who's about a year old. He was behaving normally until this afternoon. He finished his breakfast but since then has been acting very quietly, barely hops around, sits in the corner, hasn't licked me or eaten or drunk anything (or pooed). I've been gently massaging his belly thinking if it might have something to do with gas? His stomach just made a bit of a rumble. Am I right in thinking that it's a GI tract problem? Too much ingested hair?
I'd be very grateful for any help you can give me.

Cheers,
Adam

Your Rabbit needs to be seen by a Vet tonight

The symptoms you describe point to Gut Stasis which can be fatal if not treated promptly. No fecal output is of particular concern as it could indicate a full obstruction.

Please dont delay and contact a Vet now

Good luck

Hi Adam
i think its a visit to vets in the morning for you, in the meantime you need bunny to eat and drink, crush some pellets up and mix with water into a paste, syringe as much as bun will take every 2 hours as a minimum, Gently feel buns tummy, if it feels full or like a balloon then dont try to feed and ring vets now - there may be an obstruction. Try to tempt with all the favourites, my vet also advises gently rubbing the inside of their cheek with strips of carrot and rolled leaves like dandelion as its important they start the chewing action. good luck

I'd definitely advise a vet trip ASAP.

My bun Tango had similar symptoms a week or so ago, he wouldn't eat anything for breakfast and couldn't find a comfortable way to sit. I took him in that morning and they later had to xray him, removing more fluid than they had ever taken out of a rabbit and a worrying amount of solid stuff too while he was out.

He is now home and fine but it's really important that this gets treated as soon as you notice anything as a full blockage is really dangerous :( Good luck, hope bunny is well soon! :thumb:

Ok, I've since continued to massage his belly and he's been very patient. I heard a series of loud gurgles and then a possible ****. Just fed him some carrot and he's happily munching that! Just gave him some spring greens and he's now having a nibble of that. Looked back under the table where he was sitting and there was a couple of poos. So things don't seem to be as bad as they were an hour ago.

I'll try putting him in his cage and try him on hay. Is a vet still really important tonight?

Thanks every one for such informative help!

Ok, I've since continued to massage his belly and he's been very patient. I heard a series of loud gurgles and then a possible ****. Just fed him some carrot and he's happily munching that! Just gave him some spring greens and he's now having a nibble of that. Looked back under the table where he was sitting and there was a couple of poos. So things don't seem to be as bad as they were an hour ago.

I'll try putting him in his cage and try him on hay. Is a vet still really important tonight?

Thanks every one for such informative help!

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Thanks Jack's-Jane. That's where I got the idea for the abdominal massages. It must have done him some good as he's now hopping around like his normal self, eating pellets and way more curious. Good things right? Just awaiting a delivery of poos an my mind will be at rest for a while

Ok, poops passed, although be them various sizes! According to that link it's normal for rabbits to experience this, and when breaking them apart, they're really condensed with hair. Plus, he's now eating hay, so that's good news!! He seems pretty normal now so I have a feeling he's for the most part better!

I guess it's a case of making sure that he's mainly on hay for the next few days to get enough fibre in him and to sort himself out god 'un proper! I guess those massages really helped! Can vouch for that technique if anyone ends up in a similar situation.

Thanks again everyone

I'd recommend peppermint tea if you have any in the house (obviously cooled). That can really help bunny tummies.

What do you normally feed? It might be an issue with the diet as to what has caused it (not enough fibre etc), or it could be a secondary problem to something else (eg some level of pain in the body).

Ok, I'll give tea a shot. Seems fine this morning, but I'll make him skip pellets this morning and keep him on hay for today. Normal feed is pets at home dwarf pellets. He's been on that for about a year? Was recommended by our vet for it. That ok?

Back