• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny cuddles

cpayne

Warren Veteran
I've just got Doughnut back from the bunnery after my holiday. The owner said she hated being picked up, which I know and have difficulty with but he suggested picking her up and putting her in the crook of my arm. Her face was snuggled down into my elbow joint so her eyes were a bit covered by my arm and my hand supported her bum. He then stroked her with his other hand. She didn't move and seemed perfectly happy.

I'm nowing going to do this once a day to get her used to more contact, although she jumps on my lap for pellets but my question was is she enjoying it or is she only still because her eyes are covered? It looks like I'm giving her a cuddle and a stroke but I don't want to do it if she would rather I didn't. It's difficult to tell!!

I don't know whether she is enjoying it or not but this is the way that Mairwen at Cottontails RR recommends.

I think it is hard to tell with positions like that if they feel supported and safe so like it or if they just feel restricted and confined so afraid therefore still. If I cradle Julie in my arms she is also quiet. I still don't think she really enjoys being picked up as I have to be fast in scooping her up or she will take off when she realizes what I am about to do. I still only pick her up when it is necessary and I do cradle her as it is the safest way to carry her.

I know what you mean, I'm never sure whether my buns like being cuddled or whether they just tolerate it. My guess would be they are just tolerating it because when I put them down they run away flicking their back legs at me in disgust as if to say 'how dare you' :lol:

I might be wrong but if you get the same response when you've put your buns back on the floor I think this means they are really annoyed with you! It's a good way to tell if you've offended them by picking them up. I read somewhere that in the wild they flick mud up in the face of the rabbit who they are annoyed with by flicking their back legs out while running away from them.

Last edited:
That's a good idea, I'll try it tonight and see if I get the flick! When she's in the vets she stamps her feet at them so I haven't got that yet.

I don't want to be picking her up if she's still because she's afraid or annoyed. I'm taking her to the vets next week for her free health check and she seemed to like it when the nurse rubbed her ears when she had her, she was closing her eyes. Will ask their advice. When I rub her nose or head she seems to shake it off, so I think I irritate her!

I think rabbits find this way of being held a comfort. The reason I think this is because both of my rabbits (who loath being handled) on separate occasions have leapt (actually leapt!) into my arms at the vets when they were scared and snuggled their faces into the crook of my elbow. They have never once done it at home so I think they find some comfort in it.

The vat always goes 'ahhh how sweet aren't they affectionate!'. Hahahaha no! Only at the vets!

Hehe aw bunnies make me laugh. My two have only just started to enjoy being cuddled, they are 4 months today have had them for 2. They still don't like being picked up but then when they are on my lap on the sofa and im not restricting they hop up to my chest and snuggle down. They like it if i put a really thin blanket over us and stroke in between their eyes down to the back of their heads - they always drop off when i do it now :D:love::love:

I think they can tell if you are calm and it helps them relax. If i'm really slouching and they are on my tummy or chest then it looks like they find my breathing soothing too :)

Hehe aw bunnies make me laugh. My two have only just started to enjoy being cuddled, they are 4 months today have had them for 2. They still don't like being picked up but then when they are on my lap on the sofa and im not restricting they hop up to my chest and snuggle down. They like it if i put a really thin blanket over us and stroke in between their eyes down to the back of their heads - they always drop off when i do it now :D:love::love:

I think they can tell if you are calm and it helps them relax. If i'm really slouching and they are on my tummy or chest then it looks like they find my breathing soothing too :)

Ah that's cute. She jumps on my lap for pellets and puts her paws on my chest but once the pellets are gone so is she.

She's very friendly and likes attention, so will try the cuddles and hopefully she's enjoying it!!

I think rabbits find this way of being held a comfort. The reason I think this is because both of my rabbits (who loath being handled) on separate occasions have leapt (actually leapt!) into my arms at the vets when they were scared and snuggled their faces into the crook of my elbow. They have never once done it at home so I think they find some comfort in it.

The vat always goes 'ahhh how sweet aren't they affectionate!'. Hahahaha no! Only at the vets!

:lol:

This sounds very familiar with mine! it makes me think they do love me really :love::lol:

I've been to see the nurse for Doughnut's health check and apparently she thinks she does like cuddles! The nurse said to just cuddle her for a few minutes every day and start off with her eyes tucked down into the crook of my arm. She said later let her head poke out so she can see. She did that and Doughnut stayed where she was, so she's not hiding in fright or staying still because her eyes are covered. It's a hardship but going to cuddle her every day now:D

I've been to see the nurse for Doughnut's health check and apparently she thinks she does like cuddles! The nurse said to just cuddle her for a few minutes every day and start off with her eyes tucked down into the crook of my arm. She said later let her head poke out so she can see. She did that and Doughnut stayed where she was, so she's not hiding in fright or staying still because her eyes are covered. It's a hardship but going to cuddle her every day now:D

I'd be really interested if you let us know how this technique goes for you and Doughnut. I mean, whether or not she becomes more affectionate and tolerant after a while or whether you feel that all the handling is breaking the trust between you.

In my opinion with my 2 rabbits I feel that when I've picked them up they seem a bit scared of me for 2 or 3 days afterwards. Especially when I go to touch them, as if they're worried I'm going to pick them up again. I never know whether to handle them more to get them used to it or just leave them alone.

Good luck xx

Exactly the same as me. Everyone who sees Doughnut says she hates being picked up. The vet always gets a stamp of the foot after he's picked her up but the nurse didn't after the cuddles and she didn't even get a flick of her legs.

If I pick Doughnut up,which I've avoided and no good at, she will flick her legs at me and be very wary of me for a few days after like your bunny. I will let you know if she's OK if she knows I'm just picking her up for a cuddle.

I'm just pleased that she isn't still because she was frightened as that's the last thing I want to do, subject her to cuddles she doesn't want!

Hi,

I was just wondering how you've been getting on with the handling? Is doughnut starting to enjoy it?

I'm in the same position with my rabbits but have given up trying to have cuddles as I think all the handling was making them dislike me :cry: Are you going to persevere with it?

Thanks x

I have just a similar battle with my harley. Had finished her brushing which she hates anyway but she is fluffy i need to brush her alot poor kid. But havent for a while as she was spayed 1.5 weeks ago and desperatly needed it. Turned into mire of a hair cut actually as some knots i could not out without hurting her.

Anyway i ended up with a very cross and stroppy bunny who objected to being picked up so i used the method of puuting her head between my body and arm. Actually worked. And yes she was annoyed but gave her a treat and all was forgiven.

But i do need to handle her more so that gets used to it and realises that i am not gojng to hurt her.

So will be interesting to see how we all get on with our daft babies.

Good luck.

Back