• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for flooring outside?? what about...?

Jess2107

Warren Scout
Sorry! I know! another thread regarding flooring :roll:
Well, iv now got to change lavenders outside bit of her wendy house from paving slabs to something softer and kinder.. I was wanting to rip them up and just grass it but I cant do that as I live at home with my parents and when I move out my dad wants lavenders bit to have his greenhouse and a shed etc.. so iv got to think of something less perminant.
I dont fancy covering everything in straw hay outside as ill have nowhere to dispose of it when its cleaning day.. and its bad enough now all her wendy house is deep in hay as she wont use her litter tray now and is doing her buisness.. EVERYWHERE :evil:
I went to home bargins for some wood litter pellets and I came across some kids foam squares that stick together like a jigsaw (supposed to make a hopscotch) but was wondering if they could be used as flooring? or would it not be soft enough?
Or would stable mats work, or are they too hard too?
Its so difficult to see whats best other than Dr.Green :?

I think the foam squares would be okay, as long as your bunny doesn't chew them! Lino might be a little bit softer? You could also get some cheap second hand rugs/carpet squares and when they get really dirty, take them out, swap them for others, clean them and put them back in when the others get dirty...? ;)

OK - I have a similar problem as Flora is very arthritic and couldn't get any grip on the slabs. Luckily for me, Flora is neither a digger nor a chewer so I was pretty confident I could get anything. I bought some of the shortest fake grass from B&Q which is lovely and grippy and I just rake up all the stray hay and poops. I have cut several pieces for the run so on cleaning day, I just pick it up and if she's pee'd on it anywhere (which she never does) I just hose it down and leave to dry. Because it's plastic it doesn't rot, smell or decay and any liquid seeps through as it has lots of little holes all over it (so it doesn't matter if it gets rained on either). Suits us and our situation so it might be worth thinking about.

I've also used kids rubber playground safety tiles - also available in B&Q or Homebase at about a fiver each.

She currently has soft squishy lino in her wendy house but its not helped her feet at all, the vet said it needs to be really squishy and thick to be effective, so he recommended putting loads of hay ontop of it for now until we find a better alternative but I dont want to keep using the hay as she thinks she can do her business everywhere now. He also said the same with carpet it needs to be really thick and soft for this to be effective too.

I was thinking of getting the fake grass, but im scared she might try and eat it and get a poorly tummy? Does yours ever try and eat it at all?

Ill have a look at the rubber safety tiles too :thumb:

Update

UPDATE- I have been using childrens foam playmats in lavenders run & wendy house and so far she hasnt had sore hocks since *touch wood* so think iv found a solution :D!

Back