• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not sure if bunny is going :(

christina83

Warren Scout
Hi, I've posted on here several times before but tonight my Basil isn't well.
He's had a jaw abscess that's been treated for 2 years now, he's over 7 years old he's a little black bunny (never known his breed).
Tonight though he smells of ammonia, he's dozing off all the time, and he's just really not himself. I think he may be dying :( I'm not sure though, maybe with some syringe feeding and tlc he'll come better again. It's just I don't want him to hurt or scared. He ate a little porridge earlier and some apple, but he just seems very sleepy and the smell is very odd, it takes my breath away.
I know he will have to go one day, but I never want it to come :(
Sorry, this isn't a very good thread, it's just I didn't know what to do.

Oh he's just started eating porridge again now, and then had some apple afterwards. Maybe he just needs building up again.

I'll just update this.

He's now very quiet again. Not responding much to anything. He's usually quite cheeky and will nudge or box (dig) at me when I cuddle him. I don't know if its the end.

Last edited:
The smell may be indicative of renal failure :cry: At 'end stage' the breath smells uraemic, like stale wee :cry:

I think you need to contact a Vet ASAP if Basil has not already passed away

:cry:

The smell may be indicative of renal failure :cry: At 'end stage' the breath smells uraemic, like stale wee :cry:

I think you need to contact a Vet ASAP if Basil has not already passed away

:cry:

Thanks for the reply. I thought renal failure, today he doesn't smell so bad. I started thinking it was maybe his poop making the smell as he had quite a big one last night. I've got a feeling he's just old for his size and is starting to give up. I've syringed him food and he nibbles on an apple now and again, but he's so weak I think it's just old age :( I know bunnies live longer than 7, but I think it might be old for him.
I know if we take him to the vets they'll want to put him to sleep, as they've said they wanted to put him down ever since he had his abscess 2 years ago. He's been content, happy, playful and eating well up until now.
We'll syringe him watery pellets and offer him his favourite foods to see if he picks up at all.
I just wondered how rabbits act when they die of just old age? I had one bunny years ago who died of old age and he was similar, and just went under my bedroom chair one night and was gone by morning.

Hi, I just thought I'd write a little here.
Basil has been drinking water and eating by himself last night and this morning, he is still really weak though. Hes in his blanket now.
Everyones gone back to work today and I'm home alone with him, and I'm scared something will happen to him. He's had some metacam this morning.

I know you are frightened but you really must take him to a vet. If sadly it is his time it can often take quite a while and he may be suffering and as awful as it is pts may be kinder. It might be something treatable though but only a vet can tell you this.

I know you are frightened but you really must take him to a vet. If sadly it is his time it can often take quite a while and he may be suffering and as awful as it is pts may be kinder. It might be something treatable though but only a vet can tell you this.

Thanks. It's up to my mum what happens, I have said he might have to be pts to her, she was hoping that he'd just go in his sleep without the stress of being taken to the vets. When he started eating again last night he gave us hope.
I'm also not sure that the bunny smell was his poop, I think he's had a bad tum, so we have been feeding him stuff for that.

I really would urge you to get a vets opinion. I know like you say they may want to have him pts and the stress etc but then again you never know it could be something he could be treated for. Also if you really want him to pass away at home in his own time they may be able to give him other meds and make sure he is comfortable. People should never assume its old age. I'm sure if you got ill when you were about 70 you wouldn't refuse to go to the doctors and tell everyone you were dying of old age...you would do everything you could medically first. Anyway hope you are ok on your own with him and sending big hugs for you and vibes for Basil xxx

I really would urge you to get a vets opinion. I know like you say they may want to have him pts and the stress etc but then again you never know it could be something he could be treated for. Also if you really want him to pass away at home in his own time they may be able to give him other meds and make sure he is comfortable. People should never assume its old age. I'm sure if you got ill when you were about 70 you wouldn't refuse to go to the doctors and tell everyone you were dying of old age...you would do everything you could medically first. Anyway hope you are ok on your own with him and sending big hugs for you and vibes for Basil xxx

Thanks. We've had house rabbits for over 20years, and I know it's nothing small. I will see what mum says about the vets later though.

He needs to go to a Vet. If he is in renal failure the Metacam will make him much worse. He will be feeling dreadful and I am sorry to be blunt but he will be suffering :cry:

As hard as it may be to make the decision to PTS sometimes it is the final act of love we can do, to prevent a long drawn out suffering.

If he is in renal failure his blood will be full of toxins, he will be dehydrated even if he is drinking. He will feel absolutely dreadful :cry:

Please contact a Vet now, you need to help him as he cannot help himself :cry:

Thanks. We've had house rabbits for over 20years, and I know it's nothing small. I will see what mum says about the vets later though.

How about if you ring the vets and try and make an appointment for when your mum can take you straight from work or is there anyone else who can take you earlier. Explain to the vets its an emergency and you need an emergency appointment today. You sound like you really love your bunny and have looked after him well over the years. I know its difficult relying on parents for vets etc but I'm sure if your mum knew how much this was upsetting you and you explain that Basil may be in a lot of pain she would come home to get you and Basil to the vets. Keep us posted on how he is doing and keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you x

Hi everyone, Basil passed away before my parents got home from work. He passed around 12pm, so not long after I wrote on here this morning.
I loved him so much, we all did. He was so special to us.
Me and mum knew he was shutting down, but when he ate his porridge and chewed his mineral block we thought there may be some hope.
We cuddled his little body on the bed before we buried him, and kissed his little nose that had turned a grey'ish white colour over the last year. We wrapped him in one of his many fluffy blankets that he liked sleeping in.
He went peacefully in his fluffy blanket.
My bedroom where he lived is so bare and empty without him, and his little son Runty is looking lost.
I will always love and miss you Basil. xxxxx

Hi everyone, Basil passed away before my parents got home from work. He passed around 12pm, so not long after I wrote on here this morning.
I loved him so much, we all did. He was so special to us.
Me and mum knew he was shutting down, but when he ate his porridge and chewed his mineral block we thought there may be some hope.
We cuddled his little body on the bed before we buried him, and kissed his little nose that had turned a grey'ish white colour over the last year. We wrapped him in one of his many fluffy blankets that he liked sleeping in.
He went peacefully in his fluffy blanket.
My bedroom where he lived is so bare and empty without him, and his little son Runty is looking lost.
I will always love and miss you Basil. xxxxx

I am sorry :cry:

RIP Basil x

Back