• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long should a rabbit be in a run?

Flopsie

Young Bun
This weekend I am attaching a runaround pipe from my hutch to a run (Flopsie hasn't arrived yet)

I was assuming that after she settles in, I can block the run at night and then unblock the next morning for safety purposes. She can then choose when where she wants to play/relax.

There will be water/food/hay/toys etc in both areas.

Does that sound about right?

As long as she can't get out (dig, jump e.t.c.), nothing can get in (moving the run, breaking it) and the tunnel is fixed properly then it is perfectly fine :thumb: Just pop some wire or something under if it's on grass and if you do worry you could put some bricks/stones or something around the outside of the run so nothing can move it ;)

oh right. I thought it was safer to keep her inside during the night time?

If your run is secure (mesh under neath to stop rabbits digging out and other things such as foxes digging in) then there's no need to block the run at night :)

I wondered about putting something underneath but was worried about the potential injury to feet?

Perhaps a plastic mesh would be safer, if is replaced when its been chewed (but I suppose chewing plastic is not good)?

I had not thought about bricks around the edge, what a great idea, I have about 20 spare in the garage :D

I worried about the same thing as I have a hutch run combo. I just put tarpauline over it at night so they can still play around.

No no, you'd need to dig up the grass and lay the mesh a few inches down, then relay the turf on top of that. Otherwise, if you dont and bun is left unsupervised its perfectly possibly bun could dig out, or be dug into unfortunately. Rabbits do love to dig!

Keeps bunny safe :)

Yes, rabbits can get sore feet running on mesh. Have you thought about using soil? I have my rabbits on an old gardening patch and it's great! Once the soil dries out you just sweep up the droppings and you don't need to worry about the wee! It's so easy to lay the mesh as well because you just put it down then lay the soil on top. I will try and upload a photo later if you would like? :D

Yes, rabbits can get sore feet running on mesh. Have you thought about using soil? I have my rabbits on an old gardening patch and it's great! Once the soil dries out you just sweep up the droppings and you don't need to worry about the wee! It's so easy to lay the mesh as well because you just put it down then lay the soil on top. I will try and upload a photo later if you would like? :D

Thanks, any help is great.

But our soil is always dry, even during this summer. It's going to be bad for my back!!! :shock:

Yes, at first I found it a pain but now we just use the garden tool (I think it's called a hoe) which is long and gets right to the back. The broom is also good when it's just a small clear out :thumb:

Here is my set-up. You can't see on the photos but there are two hutches, a dog kennel and another run added on. Just saying so nobody thinks that is all they get :D

Cage2.jpg

Cage1.jpg

Cage3.jpg

Hope this helps!:wave:

thanks

One more thing...

As my rabbit will be a baby, should she be allowed out in short bursts to start with?

Or just let her explore from day one?

Sorry to jump in but quick Q for Natty... What do you do when its wet? Don't they get all muddy? Looks great and it's a fab idea just that my buns get sore feet for no apparent reason so wondered about the wetness. :D

Flopsie - I think it would be ok to let her out from day one, the more space, the better!

Freddie&Daphne - When it rains it does sometimes get a tiny bit wet but we cover some of the cages in perspex and some in a homemade cover....We made a rectangular frame the same size as the run and stapled a plastic dust sheet to it. It was perfect until the other rabbit found out how to get onto the top and poke holes! Also, for awful wet weather we clip plastic dust sheet to the sides of the run to keep the rain from coming in sideways. I will try and get a photo :thumb:

thanks

One more thing...

As my rabbit will be a baby, should she be allowed out in short bursts to start with?

Or just let her explore from day one?

If she will be on grass and she hasn't had grass before then it needs to be introduced as any other food would :wave: if she has had access to grass I would be inclined to take it slowly, she may have had access to grass but if she has constant access straight away it could cause a tummy upset. Unless she has run access 24/7 where she is now then it shouldn't be a problem I don't think :) do you know what she is kept in at the moment?

Obviously no veg for a few months as she is a baby, when she is old enough then that's something to introduce slowly too but you don't need to think about that yet :wave:

If she will be on grass and she hasn't had grass before then it needs to be introduced as any other food would :wave: if she has had access to grass I would be inclined to take it slowly, she may have had access to grass but if she has constant access straight away it could cause a tummy upset. Unless she has run access 24/7 where she is now then it shouldn't be a problem I don't think :) do you know what she is kept in at the moment?

Obviously no veg for a few months as she is a baby, when she is old enough then that's something to introduce slowly too but you don't need to think about that yet :wave:

I believe she has had access To some grass but at present is living with her mum and brothers. I think her current run is not on grass.

Here are the covers for 2 of the runs. I suggest, if you dont already have a cover, that you make one like mine. They work a treat and mine cost me about £5 to make!

CageCover1.jpg

CageCover2.jpg

Hope these also come to some help for someone :wave:

I believe she has had access To some grass but at present is living with her mum and brothers. I think her current run is not on grass.

Then personally I would do it slowly :) not too slow seeing as she is used to it but if she has it constantly but as she is a baby you don't want to upset such a delicate tummy :) it'll just be a case of keeping an eye on her :)

Also just to add to Natty123's post, my mom bought me a double pack of tarpauling from aldi for £7 :) its surprisingly strong! There is a big one in a single pack and a large and small on in another, I have one each of their runs :D

Last edited:
Back