• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! Sore Hock!

MoBo

Alpha Buck
Since Bo fractured her leg, she has had to use more of her right hind leg to get around. We discovered today that she has a tiny, red patch on the bottom of her hock. What do you all suggest for treating sore hocks?? Want to prevent it getting bigger as it is REALLY small at the moment.

She has to use that leg to balance now, whilst her bad leg heals.

Suggestions Please xx

Since Bo fractured her leg, she has had to use more of her right hind leg to get around. We discovered today that she has a tiny, red patch on the bottom of her hock. What do you all suggest for treating sore hocks?? Want to prevent it getting bigger as it is REALLY small at the moment.

She has to use that leg to balance now, whilst her bad leg heals.

Suggestions Please xx

Hello! Walter is in the same situation, after he had an op he seems to have lost the use of his R leg leading to a sore hock on his L foot. Sounds the same as yours as it is just red but not broken and reasonably small.

We were going to our vet for a post op check and I mentioned it. I was unsure as what to say as had read the advice on here under the health bit, but what she did was use some tissue glue and glue his fur so that it covered over the sore hock, like a comb over. She said bandaging was not great as if the bandage gets wet then it can soak to the hock.

So if you can get hold of some tissue glue then I would give that a go!!

Hope this helps :)

Hello! Walter is in the same situation, after he had an op he seems to have lost the use of his R leg leading to a sore hock on his L foot. Sounds the same as yours as it is just red but not broken and reasonably small.

We were going to our vet for a post op check and I mentioned it. I was unsure as what to say as had read the advice on here under the health bit, but what she did was use some tissue glue and glue his fur so that it covered over the sore hock, like a comb over. She said bandaging was not great as if the bandage gets wet then it can soak to the hock.

So if you can get hold of some tissue glue then I would give that a go!!

Hope this helps :)

You can put a bit of sudocrem on the area (but make sure it is clean first) and it tends to clear any redness up quite quick. If they get worse I would advise you to see your vet.

My bun has developed sore hocks for no apparent reason. He has very small, red spots on both feet. They looked slightly infected and he was put on metacam and septrin for a week but it didn't help at all. I have been putting on sudocreme twice a day, the vet suggested manuka honey also, but they haven't improved much tbh but now his fur seems to be covering them so I have stopped putting on the sudocreme. He is obviously sore but there's not much I can do for him unfortunately (already changed the carpets and laminate flooring). It's a difficult thing to resolve and it will probably be a case of long term management in your case since he will always be prone to that foot getting sore due to his injury. xx

Hows Walters heel looking today :wave:

Walter's hock is much better. Partly because he is being able to put some more weight on to his other leg so I think it means less pressure :)

The tissue glue seems to have done a good job as I haven't done anything since :)

Back