• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Perspex?

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
I've seen that some of u use/recommend sheets of Perspex hanging over the hutch mesh to prevent rain getting in. Where would I find it? I'm sure someone said they got it cut to size in B&Q but can't say iv ever seen it there! Also how much is it roughly? Would prob need to be about 18-20" sq. I'd say but haven't measured yet! Also do they cut it and drill holes in for free? Thanks for ur help :D

I got mine from wickes it was about £5 a sheet but I left a 12 inch over hang on mine so the rain don't go in the mesh at the front an hubby put me mini guttering on the back with water butts the roof was on a slight tilt so the rain runs off it :wave:

I got mine from wickes it was about £5 a sheet but I left a 12 inch over hang on mine so the rain don't go in the mesh at the front an hubby put me mini guttering on the back with water butts the roof was on a slight tilt so the rain runs off it :wave:

Thanks for ur reply, just had a look online (don't know why I didn't think of that before!) Found some on eBay pretty cheap thats cut to size, im actually now thinking of just pushing it permanently into the door frame on one door to make it like a shed window and leave the other mesh for ventilation and will have big rain cover over the whole thing. It's mainly as iv put a shelf thing in the hutch and made like a loft bed :lol: but I was bothered that when it rains the bed will get all wet. Can't believe how much iv started to think about all these home comforts for them :lol: I was always a 'rabbits r outdoor animals and should live in a natural environment' type and now iv built them a blummin loft bed and am considering putting padded cosy beds in :shock: :lol: Hope the bunnies appreciate!!

Actual perspex is quite expensive for large sheets. I've found most B&Q stores do sell it but their range varies greatly, even in the big stores. They also sell polycarbonate sheets which are cheaper but not entirely transparent. Wickes also sell large sheets of both.

Actual perspex is quite expensive for large sheets. I've found most B&Q stores do sell it but their range varies greatly, even in the big stores. They also sell polycarbonate sheets which are cheaper but not entirely transparent. Wickes also sell large sheets of both.

Yeah mine a not Perspex they are like a corrugated clear plastic sheet I did buy Perspex to make running shutters across the front of the dog kennel I bought as the rain always flew through into it and it is expensive :D

Thanks :wave: B&Q website is rubbish u search for the most basic things u know they have and it either comes up with nothing or loads of totally unrelated stuff! Wickes have it but as I only need a small square I think eBay is best bet! Does anyone know what thickness I'd need? Im hoping I can just push it into the door frame over the mesh so I'm thinking 2mm? Any idea what thickness a shed window would be?

I've seen that some of u use/recommend sheets of Perspex hanging over the hutch mesh to prevent rain getting in. Where would I find it? I'm sure someone said they got it cut to size in B&Q but can't say iv ever seen it there! Also how much is it roughly? Would prob need to be about 18-20" sq. I'd say but haven't measured yet! Also do they cut it and drill holes in for free? Thanks for ur help :D

These a what I got for the roofing on the runs

http://www.wickes.co.uk/clear-pvcu-corrugated-sheet-24m/invt/240152/

Any thickness will do just to keep the rain out if you are putting it over the top of mesh. If you drill holes carefully you can use small screws to fix it in place but you have to be careful or it cracks.

I get mine (and I have a lot) from http://theplasticpeople.co.uk/. Cheapest there is (after a whole lot of research), cut to size (any size, shape, etc), with smoothed edges, curved corners, holes pre-drilled, the works. If you don't have the kit to cut perspex (ie a hot wire cutter), then they are the easiest way to go, at least, so we've found. We've done some work on our perspex ourselves, but a dremel (or jigsaw, or similar) just isn't as smooth or as pretty. Plus, they deliver it - saves roof racks if you're going for big pieces (which we tend to do for our various projects). We've done hamster cages, hedgehog cages, rabbit shed fittings, all sorts - perspex is fab!

Just to update u, yesterday I had a sudden brain wave that I had an old picture frame under the bed with Perspex in it... I initially just wanted to check the thickness to know what to expect when I order a piece... But then I thought I could just cut that piece! Soooo... I googled cutting Perspex and read that u can just score it with a Stanley knife (I discovered that I need to do BOTH sides tho!) then snap it!! And hey presto my hutch has a window :lol: Thankfully, the way the hutch is made, the wire mesh is sandwiched between wood so I was able to just push the Perspex into the gap of the frame over the mesh and it's fitted perfectly and is very secure :D So happy :lol:

I get mine (and I have a lot) from http://theplasticpeople.co.uk/. Cheapest there is (after a whole lot of research), cut to size (any size, shape, etc), with smoothed edges, curved corners, holes pre-drilled, the works. If you don't have the kit to cut perspex (ie a hot wire cutter), then they are the easiest way to go, at least, so we've found. We've done some work on our perspex ourselves, but a dremel (or jigsaw, or similar) just isn't as smooth or as pretty. Plus, they deliver it - saves roof racks if you're going for big pieces (which we tend to do for our various projects). We've done hamster cages, hedgehog cages, rabbit shed fittings, all sorts - perspex is fab!

I got mine from the plastic people too......i measured the aperture for the mesh panels on my hutches so they fitted inside....some were tight enough to stay in on their own and on the ones which weren't I just put some small panel pins into the wood at an angle to secure them and a bit of duct tape. Worked well though the winter.

We got ours from Wickes, it was about £5 for a sheet - we have put a canopy using perspex above the door, to stop us getting wet, and to stop the rain blowing in :)

Back