• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding going well

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
We got a lovely new lionhead named Betty yesterday from a local rescue. She is so lovely but a little off colour this afternoon but has perked up loads now. I have Introduced her to Iggy and so far things seemed to be going well. (i think she ate too much carrot and new excel food rather than hay)

I do have two questions though.

firstly she has never been a house rabbit and although she seems to be taking it all in her stride I wondered if anyone had any advice on hutch bunnies becoming house rabbits?

We are not sure of how old she is either but she is def an adult so im hoping the litter training wont be too stressful.

and secondly, Iggy and Betty seem to either ignore each other when introduced or take turns chasing. They seem curious of each other too all of which I am interpreting as a good thing. She makes a little squeeky noise when i think she is uncomfortable which i have never heard iggy (or perdy) do which i think means she is too stressed and i separated them.

What does anyone think? going ok so far? I know its early days. No biting this time like with last bunny we tried to bond Ig with! :D

Hi ya :)

Im in the middle of bonding my 2 bunnies, Millie I got her when she was 6 weeks old and Todd I rescued from his previous owners, its been about 3 weeks I has him now.

On the first day I got Todd, I left him in his run, attach to his hutch underneath, to let him settle in. While he was in there I let Millie out in the garden, she was curious about Todd, she would go over to him in his run and their ears would stand up, they touch noses and smelt each other through the bars. There was no aggressive behaviour or aggression at all
The next day I let them both in the garden where Todd began to chase Millie. After an hour they were both in his hutch and Todd humped her head.

Millie and Todd got on from day one and are so loved up.

The chasing is normal :)

Have they both been done? Spayed and neutered?

Hi ya :)

Im in the middle of bonding my 2 bunnies, Millie I got her when she was 6 weeks old and Todd I rescued from his previous owners, its been about 3 weeks I has him now.

On the first day I got Todd, I left him in his run, attach to his hutch underneath, to let him settle in. While he was in there I let Millie out in the garden, she was curious about Todd, she would go over to him in his run and their ears would stand up, they touch noses and smelt each other through the bars. There was no aggressive behaviour or aggression at all
The next day I let them both in the garden where Todd began to chase Millie. After an hour they were both in his hutch and Todd humped her head.

Millie and Todd got on from day one and are so loved up.

The chasing is normal :)

Have they both been done? Spayed and neutered?

Both have been done. This morning's meeting had them both eating breakfast out of iggys bowl! Im glad your bunnies are getting on well :D

Both have been done. This morning's meeting had them both eating breakfast out of iggys bowl! Im glad your bunnies are getting on well :D

It's good they are both eating out of the same bowl. All you need to do is take it day by day. They will get their in the end. All bunnies are different, you to take the bonding at their pace. Things will get better :)

I don't know about turning a outdoor bunnie into a house bunnie tho as both of mine are outdoors.

I had Todd neutered last week and he still chases Millie and tries to hump her lol :) hopefully his hormones will settle down in a week or two.

Everything you said about the chasing is a natural behaviour.

So don't worry to much, they will bond in their own time :) x

Back