• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blocked Tear Duct - Corrected Itself?

Cari

Warren Veteran
I was wondering if anyone had heard of a blocked tear duct unblocking by itself?

Stephen has had a blocked left tear duct for a couple of months now, we tried eye drops and oral antibiotics (Baytril I think) to rule out an infection and it didn't clear up. We had his teeth checked whilst he was awake and all looked nice and normal so it was decided it was probably a blocked tear duct. The vet and I decided to leave it for the moment as it wasn't affecting Stephen at all and the fur around his eye didn't look too bad.

Since then we've washed the fur around his eye every couple of weeks with a damp flannel just to stop the fur from matting and he's had a little milky discharge from the corner of his eye once or twice a day, just like a little tear.

But, this past week I've noticed that the fur under his eye is almost always dry, the little bit of fur which would get a little matted together hasn't matted and I've not noticed as many little tears. I was just wondering if his tear duct could have sorted itself out? Or could be in the process of sorting itself out, as his eye looks really clean and nice! He does have a teeny bald patch in the corner of his eye but the skin looks lovely and clean and the hair is even starting to grow back.

Any ideas?

If there was a plug of pus in it it may have cleared thus allowing normal drainage again.

Tooth *root* problems are often associated with tear duct issues. Tooth root problems can only be diagnosed from Xrays, not just by looking at the crowns of the teeth.

Thanks Jane :) he is still having a tear every now and again but not anywhere near as often as before.

The vet didn't think it was dental because there's no other symptoms and he's eating well and it seems to be getting better? I don't know much about teeth though unfortunately.

Back