• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New outdoor house for Rio and Daisy

Lucy025

New Kit
HI everyone,

My teo bunnies Rio and Daisy are being nutered this thursday and so I will then start my bonding process, if any one has any good tips on bonding that would be great? :

Once they are bonded I would like to make them up their own area in the garden, What sor of sized shed/wendy house would be suitable for them? they are bth mini lops so fairly small and are very very laid back. I was thinking that something like a 4x4 shed would be good as it would then attach onto their run which could then follow onto the other run I have.

Let me know what you think please? any ideas would be great. My garden isnt massive so it cant be too big.

They aren't bonded yet? If not it would not be advisable to start bonding immediately :wave: hormones are still there so it's recommended to wait 6-8 weeks before attempting a bond:wave: a small neutral area to start with :) lots of bonding threada to assist too and you can ask whatever you want and we can try to help :)

Small buns need just as much room :D

If you can't go too big then have you thought about a wendy house? An attached run should be 6 x 8 according to the new requirements but what I have done as I can't fit that in the garden is a 24/7 access to a 6 x 4 run and daily access (7am - 10/11pm) to a 7 x 3 run :D if you look on the housing thread sticky for outdoor housing it will give you plenty of ideas :wave:

Last edited:
They have met each other a few times, but because I didnt want any babies they havent been allowed to stay in each others company for a long period of time. when they have been together they have actually just laid down near each other not paid much attention to one another. I want planning on bonding them straight away as I need to get a suitable place for them to live up and running etc first.

I havent thought of a wendy house actually, but that could be an idea yes. I have two runs at the moment which are 4x4 and 3x3 so I was thinking what I would do is give them a tunnel from one to another so that they had different areas to go to when they wanted. the runs would also be attached to where they would be living aswell. They would be quite free, they also would come in the house everyday for at least an hour and half and have free range of where they were.

Be careful if bringing them into the house as temperature changes can make rabbits poorly so they are either in or out, it's not so bad when the temp outside is similar to inside. So summer is okay, but winter could make them ill as it would be warm in the house and then they go into cold weather.

I would be careful having them together now too, just in case as it only takes a second for a boy to inseminate a girl.

I'm not sure on bonding straight away as I believe sperm can survive up to 4 weeks but someone will have to correct me if I am wrong. I found this though;

"A Word Of Caution About Your Neutered Male Rabbit

You should still consider your castrated male rabbit fertile for up to 6 weeks after castration."

http://www.pet-owners.co.uk/index.php/articles/detail/neutering_your_rabbit

Here is the housing :wave:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...door-Housing&p=5208014&viewfull=1#post5208014

I am not planning on putting them in together staring the bonding process foray least 6 weeks anyway as daisy needs to recover fully from her operation too. Also I need to get them a suitable house to live in together any way. They usually come into the utility room which is the same temperature as the outside so that shouldn't be a problem.

Back