• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Location Advice

Janey

Warren Veteran
Next week I am planning on bonding my pair with a single bun, eeeek.

I just have a question about where to do it. I don't know what their initial reaction will be so I thought for the first night I would put them in dog crates next to each other (not so close as they can get at each other through the bars) and hope they get a little used to each other. I will then proceed to put them all in one XL dog crate (all neutralised etc).

However, my concern is they will fight and as the crate is enclosed I won't be able to separate them before an injury occurs so I was thinking of a period in the bath together first where I can get better access. I was wondering if anybody could advise to whether this is a good idea?

I am very nervous about the whole thing, I've been putting it off for weeks but have 5 days off work with nothing to do but write my dissertation so it's now or never.

Hmmmm, tricky. I wouldn't fancy bonding a trio in a dog crate for the reasons you've mentioned, it would be too difficult to break up a fight quickly if you needed to. I'm also not a fan of using the bathtub as I think there is a risk of injury plus it's not very practical for 24/7 supervision. Personally I would try and set up a small pen either by buying/borrowing an indoor cage which has a removable top and a large door in the top, or if that's not possible, by creating a penned off area somewhere neutral in your house, even if you have to use the dog crate to act as a barricade rather than to have them in it.

Personally i would not advise putting them next to each other before attempting to bond, I think you are more likely to just set the existing pair off fighting with each other (referred aggression) which is quite common when a bonded pair see another bunny near by. I would just introduce them on neutral territory however you manage to create it, without letting them near each other beforehand.

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated.

I've had a look and I *think* with the use of players I could remove the top from the dog crate so that may work, I will have a go tomorrow.

I won't put them next to each other, thanks for the advice, I didn't think of that. I've put so much thought into it but still get it all wrong:roll:. Guess we live an learn.

I am right in thinking litter trays are a no-go? I'm slightly worried two of my buns won't go to the toilet if they don't have a tray-I don't need stasis stress on top of bonding :?

Back