• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - I'm going to give it another go I think :)

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
I'm off work from 6 on Friday till 9 on Monday wooo!
So I think I'm gonna spend the time at home giving bonding another go!

Feel much more prepared this time, there going in a small puppy pen and will be with them the whole time.
Questions -
How will I know on Monday morning if there ready to be left? As me and OH have to go back to work and will be out the house at least 8 hours on Monday.

Do we let them free range on Monday in there new area? (will be his area the lounge and her area the dining room combined)

Were planning to have there base in the dining room, which will be his dog crate, I have distilled vinegar to clean will this be enough?

How do i neutralise a room? Don't mind cleaning skirting boards etc with the vinegar, but I draw the line at the carpet!

Don't let them free range, it would be too quick. Even if they have bonded it might ruin everything. Baby steps :) make the pen a little bit bigger each time, then you can work up to the free ranging. A living room and dining room would be too much space. After 2 days mine were bonded but I didn't want it to break and the rescues advice was gradually make it bigger.

So from a 3ft space they went to a 4ft space for 3 days and 5ft for 2 days before 6ft for a day then they had the run too.

I think people have used watered down (50/50) vinegar on carpet. Just smells after :lol: not sure what else you can use.

The crate should be fine cleaned like that :)

Thank you :)

Think ill just gradually make the pen bigger and bigger then adding a panel at a time?

How did you know you could leave them?
Thing I'm most worried about is going to work Monday morning and coming back to 1 of them hurt or worse, I HAVE to go back to work and have no other time off this year

Thank you :)

Think ill just gradually make the pen bigger and bigger then adding a panel at a time?

How did you know you could leave them?
Thing I'm most worried about is going to work Monday morning and coming back to 1 of them hurt or worse, I HAVE to go back to work and have no other time off this year

Yep :) you'll know if you can or not but if you're unsure just ask and we can try and help :D maybe 5 panels to start with :)

They were at FatFluffs for 2 days and were fine in the carrier on the way back :) while they were in the 4ft hutch I watched them like a hawk for the first day :lol: but second and third day they were fine, in the 5ft hutch they were fine and the 6ft hutch and then run they were fab :) they could have probably gone bigger quicker but I didn't want to muck things up :) take it slow enough and it should go swimmingly :D

By Monday they might be fine enough for you to leave them :) you'll just have to see how they are :D I think if you keep the pen smaller for them until Monday and not make any changes then they might be alright but we don't know that yet:)

Thanks so much for your advice :D
Fingers crossed it will go well! They have been together before and never gone for each other Bear was calm as anything and she was terrified!

Back