• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cat flap in shed

vergo97

Warren Scout
We're about half way through putting up the shed, and I really wanted to put a cat flap in but we're not sure how to do it because of the way the wooden panels overlap. :?

Had anyone put a cat flap in an overlapping shed?

I think we just cut a hole in it and the edge of the catflap goes either side (unless you are making your own of course)

is the flap going to go into a totally fox proof run? or does it go into garden and are you planning to lock it at night?

if its into garden please think again- foxes are strong and cat flaps are not. had the one on my back door busted repeatably by feral cats/ my dog etc and they weren't cheap ones lol

if you want a lockable door into a garden consider putting in a poultry pop hole- far more secure if done properly.

We have a cat flap from our wendy house into the run. We just cut out the side of the shed, not sure if ours is overlap though, think its shiplap.

It'll be leading into a run on paving slabs, which I think will be fox proof? Does the run need to be attatched to the shed?

I'll see if we can just cut a hole in it :)

I would screw the run to the shed using metal brackets. if you can move it so can a fox. I have heard of too many runs being pushed away from hen houses by foxes to consider a run safe unless firmly screwed into place. likewise I would use bolts to close any doors/ fix roof of run down as swivil or hook & eye fastenings are not fox proof.
if the run is on concrete slabs then that does stop any thing digging in.
I take it the run is made of weldmesh? if its made of chicken wire then lock your rabbits in when unsupervised as chicken wire merely keeps occupants in rather then keeping others out- a preditor can easily chew through chicken wire.

if the shed has a window that opens you will need to weldmesh that also as preditors happily jump through open windows.

Wouldn't it make it difficult to clean if it is unmovable?

I'm not sure what it is made of, it was given to us by my mum's friend. Here's a picture of it (maybe you can tell what it is):
P1030037.jpg

The windows in the shed don't open :wave:

that looks a nice run and it is weldmesh not chicken wire:D

cleaning- the way I clean is to unbolt the top off stand in it and clean it out!
if the only thing holding the roof shut is a house brick then it is not secure and a fox will easily get in sooner or later- likewise if its not bolted to house then I would be concerned. thing is a fox only has to get lucky ONCE. not worth the risk.

Back