• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Some Kind of Head Tilt?? DRUG DOSAGE SEEMS WRONG- HELP!

mrs munkee

Mama Doe
The past couple of days I've noticed that Cadbury's head turns to the left when he's sitting still :?

Could he have just pulled a muscle or could it be more serious???

Last edited:
The past couple of days I've noticed that Cadbury's head turns to the left when he's sitting still :?

Could he have just pulled a muscle or could it be more serious???

As in twitching to the left and back again or just dropping to the side?

It sounds like it could be a mild head tilt- I would get it checked out before it gets worse. As well as the usual suspects such as E cuniculi and inner ear infection pain in the region of the ear/head can cause a mild tilt xx

Do you mean his face turning to look to the left or his actual head tilting to the left? A pic may help?

His head turns as if he's looking to his left. His head remains the rigt way up as in it doesn't twist from vertical to horizontal like I've seen bunnies with head tilt.

He doesn't appear to be in any discomfort and was flopped out this afternoon and he can still turn his head back the otherway when needed, but when he just sits there it distinctly turns to the left :?

Sounds like torticollis (wry neck) whick can be a form of head tilt- I would take him to a vet asap for diagnosis and treatment xx

Vets at 5 this evening :( and just to add to everything, the poor little mite broke a claw yesterday evening so he's definately feeling sorry for himself.

Vet doesn't think it's anything more serious than a pulled muscle, but has taken the precaution of prescribing EVERYTHING!!!! That was horrendously more expensive than I expected :(

So, we've got:

Baytril
Metacam
Lapizole
and E.C. stuff (28 day course)

We've got to try and stop him jumping and no going down the stairs :shock:

Just trying to clarify the dosages, because they seem excessively high :?

Metacam 0.5mg/ml oral suspension for cats - 0.8ml daily. This is almost a whole syringe and the leaflet recommends a daily dose of 0.05ml/kg (Cadbury only weighs 0.3 something kg????) This dosage seem way too high?

Also the Baytril is prescribed at 0.5ml twice daily (half a syringe) mixed with equal parts ribena, so a whole ml (whole syringe?). The bottle is also abelled as being 100ml which it clearly isn't. 10mls maybe???

HELP!

How big is he, how much does he weigh? Without doing any calculations, neither of those seem excessively huge doses to me just looking at them off the top of my head.

Just trying to clarify the dosages, because they seem excessively high :?

Metacam 0.5mg/ml oral suspension for cats - 0.8ml daily. This is almost a whole syringe and the leaflet recommends a daily dose of 0.05ml/kg (Cadbury only weighs 0.3 something kg????) This dosage seem way too high?

Also the Baytril is prescribed at 0.5ml twice daily (half a syringe) mixed with equal parts ribena, so a whole ml (whole syringe?). The bottle is also abelled as being 100ml which it clearly isn't. 10mls maybe???

HELP!

Are you sure about Cadbury's weight !! ??

Are you sure it isn't 3 kgs? Or 2.3kg or something? Rabbits dosage for metacam isnt the same for cats so dont go off the dosage for cats. I would say if you are that unsure then ring the vets. If they do out of hours they can confirm the dose.

Maybe I mean 1.3kg ?? He's only a little Netherland x lionhead. Tried ringing the vets back but they are closed untill tomorrow morning.

Just a whole syringe mostly of drugs seems like loadsfor such a diddy bunny. So scared to give him the wrong amount. :-/

Chris sometimes slightly cocks his head to one side when he is on my bed and looking at something on the ground.:)
Does your bunny seem uncoordinated?:?
I hope all goes well!!!:D

That's what I thought when he first done it. I thought he was watching the telly, but then he kept doing it more and more.

0.8ml of Metacam is a hefty dose, but by no means an overdose (assuming he's 1.3Kg) My Charlotte had that dose recently when she was in stasis and obviously in alot of pain, she weighs 1.4Kg.
It could be that the vet is using it predominantly for its antiinflammtory properties as she thinks its probably a pulled muscle.
Definatly worth a call if youre worried though.
Hope Cadburys feeling better soon :wave:

The vets opens at 8:30.

Trying to stop a bunny jumping is interesting.... we shut him in our bedroom last night and I had to carry him downstairs this morning :roll: luckily he's not one for jumping on furniture.

Assuming he is about 1.3kg which is probably vaguely right for a lion head/nethie cross, then neither of those seem outrageously high to me. Would you be panicking if you had been asked to give 0.3ml of metacam? Probably not - but many vets prescribe dog metacam which is three times stronger than the cat, so the cat dose is a much bigger amount to get the same amount of drug (and hence is easier to dose accurately for smaller animals). Baytril also needs good hefty doses to have much impact, I'm sure my Santa who was a tiny nethie used to have 0.4ml twice a day at one point.

Personally i would enquire as to whether you can give all the Baytril as a single daily dose (it is now well known that Baytril works on peak concentration so it is recommended usually to give it as one large dose rather than two smaller ones) and the metacam split in half into two doses, as it is metabolised quickly so may give better coverage all day. Obviously your vet may have very good reasons for suggesting the regime they have, but those are the questions I would ask.

Good luck, hope your little one is ok x x

Just phoned vets and double checked the dosages. Think it was because the nurse who dispensed the drugs didn't go through each one with me so when I got home and saw it was nearly a whole syringe of metacom and half a syringe of baytril it just seemed like a lot. And I'm sure when I've syringed meds before it's been teeny doses.

But anyway, first round of medicating done. I have some grovelling to do now!

Back