• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

newbie. hutch questions need help with

sammatt

New Kit
Just got two rabbits and a large two tier hutch. We've decided to keep the rabbits indoors as there's been a few thefts from back gardens in the area. Anyway. Does anyone have any tips for keeping the wood of the hutch dry. We often get pee on the floor having dripped down from the hutch. They pee in the corners. we have introduced a litter tray which one rabbit uses the other doesn't. But they both still pee in any corner on the upper tier where the tray isn't. I'm basically looking for a solution to keep the hutch in good condition and not go mouldy etc from pee

Hi there!:wave:

A lot of people, including myself, use lino to cover the hutch floor. If you find a local flooring company they a tend to have off cuts for a few pounds which do the job.

Hi there!:wave:

A lot of people, including myself, use lino to cover the hutch floor. If you find a local flooring company they a tend to have off cuts for a few pounds which do the job.

A thick layer of newspaper helps, too.

I was told not to use .newspaper because if the ink gets on their fur they will lick it off an the ink will go in their mouth

Are they neutered? That will help with litter training.

I'd start with a couple of trays at least, maybe 3, and put them where they like to wee. Then vinegar any area they wee that isnt the trays, and make sure when you clean the litter trays you put back some dirty litter inside. Over time you'll find they use one or two trays more than others, and you can reduce the amounts down.

They are only 10 weeks old so no. We've introduced a litter tray.

Also I was thinking of sealing up the bottom of the cage as there's a slight gap around the edges and as the rabbits pee in the corners it runs down into the floor I think I'll definitely put some vinyl tiles down. I think the poindshops do planks

Back