• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To get a new Bunny or not?

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
Hi there, I would really appreciate some advice.

After a short illness, about a month ago we lost perdy. (She has a chest infection and was on treatment for it but it had weakened her little heart :( )

As perdy was half of a bonded pair i am a bit worried about Iggy. He has been sleeping and spending lots of his days with me while i work in the bedroom but i am due to return to work in september and he will be alone during the day.

Perdy was the second rabbit he was bonded with and he is a total softy so im not worried he wont like having another bunny around but he is nearly 8 and a house rabbit. I am really reluctant to get a much younger friend for him or whether I should get him a friend at all?

Our vet was not overly helpful.

What does anyone think?

I would look for an older bunny in rescue, we just had the same issue my female passed and left Mr pips who is 8yrs, we found him an older female and it was a ten min bond no hassles, he was grieving and seeing him snuggle up to snow now I know I made the right choice. I personally didn't want another but I can see he needed a partner.

Hope this helps x sorry for Ur loss

I would definitely look at rescuing an older bunny as a companion - I'm sure he would be happier with another wifey.

Definitely agree with the above posts. Flora recently lost her brother - they were both aged nearly nine and a half. She appeared to be fine for the first two weeks but then went off her food and started to allow me to give her nose rubs - something she'd steadfastly avoided previously. So it was clear she needed bunny company. I didn't really want to get another rabbit but her needs were greater than mine. I'm now in the process of bonding her with a 5 year old buck and it's going really well.

I'd get him a friend, although if you feel a young bun would be too much for him, an older bun may be an idea. I've seen loads in rescue around the 4-5 mark.

Back