• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Concrete/cement dust harmful to bunnies???? need replies!!!

lovelybun

Warren Scout
hi my dad was evening out a 4' x 4' wide 1'' high rise in the concrete flooring(which he wants to tile) in our unfinished basement and there was quite a bit of dust! my bunnies were upstairs in a room at the other side of our house and the door was closed. There was a thin film of dust all over the floor in the sitting room(where you go directly into the basement):(. There was very little dust, or so I can tell, In the room my bunnies were in but there was a partially covered air vent.
I am so concerned:( about my bunnies' health!!!!!! I am sooooo scared they could die or get really sick!!!:cry:

P.S. It has been a few days since and my bunnies are acting quite normal.;) But when I put my ear to Chris's nose his breathing sounds sorta like short and slightly squeaky " Wheesh! wheesh!"( only when i am really close) . And when i put my ear to his side his breathing sounds like short whooshes. They dont have any runny eyes or noses!
Please reply!!!!:?

Allergic reactions can occur if a Rabbit inhales a potential irritant. Sometimes this can then lead to a secondary bacterial infection

I would get a Vet to check your Rabbits over

I would def take him to a vet. If they havent got the ability to get the irritant out, it can become painful and he might get sicker. It might just be a case of having it flushed out.

I was dusting once near Lucky and he sneezed and breathed funny - i took him to a vet and they gave him an anti inflammatory shot and flushed out his airways and he was fine - the poor think could have suffered for ages like that if i hadnt taken him. (Turned out he had a bit of hay stuck)

As others have said solid concrete can't harm them, but any simple dust can make the nasal secretions too thick to drain & give secondary issues.
Unslaked lime - (the cement before water has been added) is caustic to all of us.

bring them to the doctor, there they can wash their eye channels and see if there's something wrong with the lungs.in any case I guess there's not so much to worry about cause they were far from the dust, but still it's good to be on the safe side

You say it's been a couple of days already and that there was no dust in the room the rabbits were actually in. It doesn't sound like there is a problem. If you think they are breathing abnormally take them to a vet though.

You say it's been a couple of days already and that there was no dust in the room the rabbits were actually in. It doesn't sound like there is a problem. If you think they are breathing abnormally take them to a vet though.

Hi, Chris seems way Better than yesterday. I left the window open all night an his breathing is clearer. He seems quite healthy to me and there was No discharge from his eyes or nose, no sneezing and no gasping for breath. I was wondering if it is normal to {hear} rabbits breathing through their nose ( when you are VERY close). His breathing didnt sound loud or raspy but rather quiet.
And there was just a Bit of cement dust in that room and I am worrying:( about it settleing in his lungs. Is that possible???:?

Back