• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Odd Question - behaviour based

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Do rabbits consider 'pooping/weeing' in a certain area as they do - a 'risk' ? Do they feel vulnerable with their backs turned for example when using a litter tray?

Just doing some thinking.

Thanks to those who take the time to post.

Mine must not cos at times they face the wall when they are doing their toilet activities:)

I think probably yes. Mine certainly seem more comfortable with their litter tray in a corner (a 'solid' corner if that makes sense, so against the hutch wall, or when they were indoors against the sofa and wall). Mine will generally face outwards rather than looking at the wall when they do their business.

I also see this preference in other areas too, not just with the litter tray. For example if I am stroking mine, they will deliberately turn around so that they are facing away from me, I suppose so that they feel they can get away quickly if they need to.

I think probably yes. Mine certainly seem more comfortable with their litter tray in a corner (a 'solid' corner if that makes sense, so against the hutch wall, or when they were indoors against the sofa and wall). Mine will generally face outwards rather than looking at the wall when they do their business.

This. I notice that they will always wee with their bum in a corner, usually the corner nearest the wall(s). Don't think it applies so much when pooping and eating but definitely they seem to prefer to wee somewhere 'safe'. I've noticed that occasionally my lops wee under the bed on the blankets which is where they feel safest and where they retreat to if they feel a bit under the weather.

Back