• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help making a hutch cover?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
I've been trying to get hold of a hutch cover for the winter (or summer at this rate:roll:), but my hutch is homemade and a random size/design.
I've contacted the man on ebay who makes them a few times but have had no reply.

So, I thought I might make one myself - my Mum has a sewing machine and it would just be straight lines...

Has anyone done this? What material should I use?
Any ideas appreciated! :wave:

ETA: would this sort of thing be suitable? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290739410...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Last edited:
hi there

our hutch is a funny shape and we have a large plastic table cloth (if you dont have one, you can use shower curtains or buy it - comes loose on a roll so you get how much you want) and tbh we dont do anything technical but stuff the corners into the lids and pop pegs on the sides....

Patio dining set covers (eg from argos) could also work.

Thanks for the replies :)

Last winter I used tarp, layered over a few blankets and tied on with washing line! It worked but was a nightmare, as to get into the top floor where their sleeping box is I have to lift a hatch type door. I really need something fitted.

Not sure what to do! I've tried to get hold of the ebay man who makes them, as an easy way out, but not had much luck.

Would I would do is get as much waterproof material that I felt I needed, thin enough to sow through. And then I would get a tiny piece of it and practice to see how I would sow the corners together so that it would fit over the hutch

Then measure length, width and depth and cut then sow the plastic together appropriate size :)

Back