• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how long does healing take (after neuter)??

emileemason

Warren Scout
I know people say that you should wait 6-8 weeks until bonding so hormones can die down, but how long is it until they are healed? because it is apparently sooner than the 6-8weeks and i thought i might start the bonding process sooner by putting cages side by side etc but not actually in together, just to see how they react. They all live pretty close to each other already but yeah. But i want them to be fully healed before i do this so i don't stress them out or anything..
Thanks in advance :wave:

Sorry I can't help, but I was thinking the same thing [side by side] because I have some buns I want to bond who live side by side at the moment and wondered if it would help in the lead up to bonding.

Hope you get an answer soon :)

Over here they take the stitches out 10 days post op so I would think that 2 weeks after theur spay or neuter they should be fit enough for normal activities. I wouldn't like to chance a fight though. So if there is a chance of fighting then you're best to wait another couple of weeks to be on the safe side.

thanks tonibun, over here sutures come out 10-14 days after aswell, and they wouldnt be able to fight as i wouldnt put them in together just want to put them next to each other or something to see how they are, if they are stressing i could always move them away again, but thanks :)

and goodluck with bonding kate7590 ;)

None of the does I've had done have stitches taken out, they were dissolvable and done internally with glue on the outside so the bunnies couldn't chew them.
In general I would say does often take 2 weeks before they seem back to their normal selves with eating/ drinking/ pooping and general energy levels. Definately get extended pain relief as this makes a big difference to how well they recover.

The main thing to remember is that bonding can be stressful, as is the neuter and you don't want to pile to many things on at once. If its a straight forward easy bond you can do it as soon as a couple of days after the female is spayed but then if there's any fighting she is much more likely to injure the wound site and set back healing. If the male was recently castrated he will pester and continue to mount and mate for 6 to 8 weeks and remains fertile for that time. His behaviour is likely to upset and stress an already stressed grumpy healing doe and hamper the bonding process as well as him being at risk with his wound site from her biting him. Especially if he's mounting her head. Bucks do in genral heal faster though. The couple I've had done where running around oblivious the next day.

ETA I'm not a fan of the whole dating and having them next to each other methods. I prefer just to set a couple of days aside, get a neutral area prepared and do the long haul.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice blue_vix.
I wish mine were done like that (dissolvable stitches). I didnt really get given any options? I didn't know there were options :oops: their pamphlet thing says that cats get dissolvable stitches but maybe there is some reason why they only do cats that way?
And the bunnies got a long lasting injection of pain relief which i'm pretty sure is standard, but they said that was enough? Didn't offer extended pain relief..

I want to do the method of putting them all in together and letting them sort themselves out rather than dating, when they are all healed and hormones have died down, but thought if they were side by side for now it might help?
I guess they are already pretty close together and can all see each other so maybe that's enough?
(they are in a triangle setup [2singles enclosures, 1 bonded set of buns enclosure] that all face inwards so that they can all see each other)

My bunny only took about 2 weeks to completely heal and return to his normal self again. However, if you have more than 1 bunny (my bunny is not a very social bunny and likes being with human "buddies" more than with rabbits) I would say wait about 4 weeks or until he/she has healed physically (medically) and mentally (recovered psychologically and returning to normal self).

Back