• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For how long does your bunn get out of the cage everyday?

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
Helloo,

Ive been thinking about this for a while, Basically ive just finished uni and am about to start full time work and am wondering about how this is going to affect the amount of time i spend with Bailey, So: How much time do your bunns get out of the cage running around on average a day and how much play/cuddle time do you give them everyday?

Bailey is a single female of almost 3, she gets an average of between 4-6 hours of running around the kitchen (outside if its sunny) every day and is picked up and shown attention throughout this time.
Im worried with starting work she may become abit depressed if I can say only get her out of the cage for a few hours in the evening, i know a solution would be to bond her and I'd love to get her a partner but unfortunately its not the right time at the moment for this to happen.

During the school year (this was before bonding) each of my bunnies got two hours, but during the summer they each get six hours. Not to mention that with Toshi and Paige living downstairs Joshua gets the run of my room :D

^^ I know it's definitely not the best, but it's what I can give them and they seem to be very happy.

Is there any way you could attach a run to the cage, possibly using those NIC cubes, so she has more space? There are pictures of various indoor set-ups in the housing section. At least she wouldn't then be just stuck in her cage.

erm if its raining not much amys ok in a big shed :) but i have ant in for a hour or two since hes in a hutch sometimes

My bunny gets out from morning through to when I go to bed. He hops in and out his cage all day. But varies with each owner tho I suppose, just as long as your bunny gets out, all is good :) i also worry if my bunny will get depressed when i'm away, or he might even forget me? I'm away to africa for a month.

mine don't get out as much as I'd like but their area is reasonably large so I don't mind if they go a little while without getting a proper run about, they seem perfectly happy with that.

They don't really get any cuddle time because mine don't like it, but I do spend at least a few minutes in the shed every day so I don't become a total stranger.:)

How much space does Bailey have when she's shut in? It might be worth thinking about a way to increase that space (maybe bunny proofing a room and letting her free range).

What makes now a bad time to be getting her a friend?

Mine only go into their hutch to sleep, we've only had them a week so once they are settled in I might just leave them in their room over night but with free run of it. If we are out at work they have a couple of rooms and when we are home or only out for a bit they can go anywhere. Once they are settled in I am going to open everything up for them when I'm at work. :)

Smudge doesnt have a cage, so is out all the time but i confine him to the hallway and kitchen/diner when im out as theres nothing to jump off or get stuck behind! Maybe you could bunny safe a room for your bun?

Indoor rabbits have their own rooms and never shut in anything. Outdoor rabbits have 24/7 access to their 6 x 4 run and access to a 7 x 3 run in the day (they will sit in it all might and get wet if we didn't shut them in :roll::lol:)

Mylo gets free range from when we get up to when we go to bed. She lives in our bedroom and although we leave the door open all day she never goes onto the landing even though she used to enjoy binkying up and down it. She hasn't been out there for a while, she rarely even goes near the door, no idea why she stopped.

24 hours for Stephen as he is a little free range indoor bun. :) He enjoys his cage, likes digging, eating and sleeping etc in there but the only time he is shut in is when I hoover as he would eat through the wiring in a matter of seconds, naughty boy!

Yep I am a definite free range convert! I got Lola and got a 1.2m by 50cm cage. Thought it would be fine to just let her out supervised for a few hours a day. But I hated shutting her up and to be honest I kinda considered it cruel (I wouldn't like it!), so I got her a metal pen and attached it so then she had 1.5m x2.5m. But when we got Walter I just thought why not bunny proof the room and let them go free range.

And they do! And they love it! And its much better for them to have the space!

I have even got rid of the cage now for an underbed storage box!!

If you can bunny proof why not go free range, when you see the difference in your bunny you will know its worth it!

Back