• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help my snowball please.

Embie

New Kit
I'm new here, My names Jen and I'm 25.. I have a albino rabbit who's 10 and a half years old.
I took him to vets on Monday as something wasn't right with his right front paw, They said it could be dislocated but won't x-ray due to his age.
Today I took him out of his house for a 20 min walk around up stairs but noticed his hind legs and left paw have gone strange.. I have attached a video of his attempt of hopping.
-Don't mind the wet patch, He had a little accident-

I'll be taking him back to a different tomorrow for another opinion.

:(:(:( Poor bun! He needs a vet now - like tonight, most vets have an out of hours service.

There are some x-rays that can be done whilst conscious. Do you know if your vet is particularly bunny savvy? It's amazing how some vets just don't have the knowledge for buns, did they give you any answers? If not then I would say find a new vet, if it's dislocated then surely it'll be hurting him, he at least needs pain medication!!!

Good luck x

:(:(:( Poor bun! He needs a vet now - like tonight, most vets have an out of hours service.

There are some x-rays that can be done whilst conscious. Do you know if your vet is particularly bunny savvy? It's amazing how some vets just don't have the knowledge for buns, did they give you any answers? If not then I would say find a new vet, if it's dislocated then surely it'll be hurting him, he at least needs pain medication!!!

Good luck x

He has pain meds and anti flams. My closets vet tends to be pretty good with snowball but this time they've failed him. The vets I will go to tomorrow have good knowledge with rabbits. Bit further out of town but I know he needs a second opinion. It's heart breaking to see my bundle of fluff like this.

Did he get pain relief from your vet? Sending vibes for Snowball. My rabbit is an albino, so I have a soft spot for this type of rabbit.

Edit - just seen your second post. Good luck in seeking a second opinion.

Please keep him confined to his cage until he has a comprehensive examination by a Vet

It looks as though he has a spinal problem and until you know exactly what any movement could potentially exacerbate the problem

Is he eating, drinking, pooing and weeing ?

Have you heard of E Cuniculli?

It is a parasite (internal) that attacks the neural pathways of rabbits and can cause symptoms including hind leg weakness, partial paralysis, head tilt etc.

vets often only associate it with head tilt but I might suspect that as one possible cause of the buns problems.

It particularly 'attacks' elderly, ill or otherwise immune weakened rabbits.

It is not a parasite like a worm or some such - but acts more like a virus (although it is technically a parasite)

The treatment for it is panacur or lapizole for at least 28 days, plus metacam for anti infammatory.

It can be tested for by a blood test but tbh vets often skip that and give the treatment unless they need to rule it out.

A very high percentage of rabbits are carriers and it will 'flare up' at times in life.

If an xray reveals no breaks etc then I would immediately start EC treatment just in case - .the treatment can take several weeks to work.

Also get the vet to check ears in case an infection in the ears has caused neural damage.

PS Just seen Jacks Janes post - she will be MUCH better at diagnosis than I am.

Have you heard of E Cuniculli?

It is a parasite (internal) that attacks the neural pathways of rabbits and can cause symptoms including hind leg weakness, partial paralysis, head tilt etc.

vets often only associate it with head tilt but I might suspect that as one possible cause of the buns problems.

It particularly 'attacks' elderly, ill or otherwise immune weakened rabbits.

It is not a parasite like a worm or some such - but acts more like a virus (although it is technically a parasite)

The treatment for it is panacur or lapizole for at least 28 days, plus metacam for anti infammatory.

It can be tested for by a blood test but tbh vets often skip that and give the treatment unless they need to rule it out.

A very high percentage of rabbits are carriers and it will 'flare up' at times in life.

If an xray reveals no breaks etc then I would immediately start EC treatment just in case - .the treatment can take several weeks to work.

Also get the vet to check ears in case an infection in the ears has caused neural damage.

PS Just seen Jacks Janes post - she will be MUCH better at diagnosis than I am.

They said it can't be E.C as he's not showing head tilt -.-

Jack's-Jane - As he only sits in one area the poop gets clumped on to him, so he's cleaned up every time we check, He wee's like normal and eating, well it's hit an miss. He's never been one for eating much, but lately seems a little less, today he only ate a a bit of a treat then I spoon fed him with wet food before taking his meds.

They said it can't be E.C as he's not showing head tilt -.-

Jack's-Jane - As he only sits in one area the poop gets clumped on to him, so he's cleaned up every time we check, He wee's like normal and eating, well it's hit an miss. He's never been one for eating much, but lately seems a little less, today he only ate a a bit of a treat then I spoon fed him with wet food before taking his meds.

I suspected they would say that - EC does not always manifest with head tilt - it depends which neural area the parasite is affecting.

I have had several EC buns and one in particular did not have EC - hind leg weakness is one of the classic symptoms.

I suspected they would say that - EC does not always manifest with head tilt - it depends which neural area the parasite is affecting.

I have had several EC buns and one in particular did not have EC - hind leg weakness is one of the classic symptoms.

It's like with humans an meds, just because the side effects are listed doesn't mean you're going to get them.. I'm rather annoyed that she didn't even consider it a bit more..
Hopefully tomorrow with the other vets they can tell me what's wrong and hopefully get another few more years with him.

Its just one option though - it may well be a spinal thing . . .

needs more diagnotics really - just wanted to throw it n as a possibility . . I have seen buns like this from EC

Its just one option though - it may well be a spinal thing . . .

needs more diagnotics really - just wanted to throw it n as a possibility . . I have seen buns like this from EC

With EC could a 10 n a half year survive with it even with meds?

I'm so sorry, I really don't have any clue of what it might be (i'm quite new and my rabbit is 7 months old) but it sounds like he's dislocated it. Or maybe a parasite that affected his back legs. I think its best if you try to make him move it as little as possible or it could just get even worse if he has dislocated it.
I really hope he gets better soon! Lots of healing vibes! XXXXXX

Update: We have vets this afternoon with my other vets, I'll post updates later once I find out what's wrong and thank you all for the vibes.

Back