• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A very hairy night - suggestions appreciated

nicki

Warren Scout
Oliver has been moulting heavily all week and his fur is coming off in clouds of fluff. I have been trying to stay on top of it all week with diet, fluids and removing excess fur.

However, last night at 9.00pm, I found him writhing in pain and not eating at all. I knew he had done some droppings much earlier in the day but wasn't sure if he had any output at this point. Fortunately, because of my other bun Alice who has serious tummy probs, I had medicine at home. I gave him metacam and he became more comfy and produced 1 dropping so I knew it would be ok to give a gut stimulant. I then gave him metaclopramide and thankfully within about an hour, he started eating again and producing droppings. He also took some fibreplex on bananna. It is the first time I've syringed him medicines and he wasn't an easier customer so it was a relief that I got the meds in.

Oliver seems fine this morning and is eating and producing normal droppings but I will keep a very close eye on him. The experience made me think that perhaps one of the reasons Alice has survived this long with chronic gut issues is that she rarely stops eating and drinking altogether even when in high pain.

If anyone has any further tips re: Oliver and reducing the fluff and preventing stasis due to heavy moulting, I would be very grateful. I will also speak to my vet for advice this morning.
Alice seems a little weak too - so all in all a very hairy night!

Nickix

Last edited:
The best advice I can offer is to be sure to get a good grooming comb for your bun and learn to groom them. During moults it's important to brush your bunny at least once a week. Your other bunny can benefit too so that she doesn't swallow any fur that could be causing Oliver's bouts of stasis if they groom one another at all.
Hay fed unlimitedly is another plus. Be sure they always have fresh water and some dark leafy greens if they're not big drinkers, but mostly hay to help push hair through.
Other members who have been here longer will undoubtedly have more ideas for you. But this is what I have found works for me. :)
Otherwise sounds like you're well on top of the situation. Hope they are both feeling better today. :)

Thanks MimzMum,

I have been using a brush/comb and my wet hands but will look and see if there is a better comb available. It is hard to keep on top of because it is coming off in large amounts and going everywhere.

Both buns are good drinkers and drink from a bowl. They have a variety of hays at all times and some fresh herbs.

Alice is already on meds daily as she is has been a very poorly bun for a while but in future I might give Oliver fibreplex preventatively because of the sheer amount of fluff. He is also got to be the cleanest bunny ever because he is a constant groomer which is probably not helping.

Thanks for the reassurance. Oliver is much better this morning and the vet said to keep going with the metaclop every 8 hours for the next 2 days.
Nicki:)

Yes, certainly wet leaves/veg are a good way to get extra fluids in especially when hot and bun is moulting heavily (as I have recently been reminded myself)

For grooming I find hands work better than any brush but the rubber zoom groom can lift a lot of the very loose undercoat and topcoat. Be aware that when you groom you will loosen excess fur and they may ingest more for a day or two after but this is preferrable to large matts which can cause an obstruction or partial obstruction.

Re. metclopramide - very effective BUT buns will often eat right up until the time the stomach stops emptying, and a partial blockage or large mass can still be present so really it should not be administered if a bun has been anorexic and ceased droppings until you have had a vet examine the abdomen carefully or perform an abdominal Xray/ultrasound. The lower part of the bowel (caecum and colon onwards) can still push out left over waste droppings but this doesn't mean that there isn't a problem further up the bowel. Fortunately it does sound like your bun was ok but do take care in future with this drug.

Fibreplex seems to be better as an acute medicine for short periods. For longer term use I would recommend Protexin pro-fibre pellets or a probiotic in the water such as biolapis. :wave:

Back