• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stamping when inside?

vergo97

Warren Scout
My rabbit doesn't have much room in his hutch and run outside, so sometimes I bring him in so that he can run around a bit but when I do he stamps a lot and sometimes he'll not move for a long time. Does this mean that he does not like being inside and that I should not bring him in?

He probably still needs to get used to the strange things and smells in the house, do you bring his litter tray in with him, that would give him some familiar smells

He probably still needs to get used to the strange things and smells in the house, do you bring his litter tray in with him, that would give him some familiar smells

Good idea.:thumb:

It could well be the above.

Also he could be stamping when it's time for him to go back outside. A temper tantrum perhaps.

Bunnies just need a little time to adjust to new things.

Best of luck.:thumb:

He has a litter tray inside, it's not one he has in his hutch though.

He's been inside about 5-6 times, and every time he has started stamping within the first 10 minutes of being inside. I'll bring his outside litter tray in though and see if he stops.

Yeah, it might be nerves :) if it's only been a few times he will probably get used to it :) Poppy used to thump a lot when she first became a house rabbit but she's okay now :) Maybe if you bring a blanket in with him too? :D

I agree with the others who have posted. It's probably worth persevering for a bit if his exercise outside is limited.

He might be doing if for attention.

My house-bun, Rolo, thumps. But he does it when ive not given him attention for awhile. A quick scoop up and a cuddle and hes fine :)

Maybe your bun just wants abit of a fuss to show him everythings ok.

Rach x

If he is also freezing, it sounds like he is terrified.

Do you have any predators who live inside (cats? dogs? ferrets?)? Or anyone inside who works with animals he will see as predators?

I would suggest giving him a 'safe place' indoors - such as a small dog crate with his litter tray, hay and water in, so he feels safe that he has a bolt hole.

People sometimes have a similar experience when letting their bunnies have free-range in the garden for the first time and are surprised that they just seems rooted to the spot.

They are prey animals and therefore need somewhere to feel safe.

If he is also freezing, it sounds like he is terrified.

Do you have any predators who live inside (cats? dogs? ferrets?)? Or anyone inside who works with animals he will see as predators?

My post previous crossed with this! Think that's what I was trying to suggest. ;)

I'll bring a blanket in next time as well.

I'll definatly keep bringing him inside then, and see if he stops doing it. He tends to go under my desk and sit there, but he does eventually come out and today after a few hours he flopped over and was sleeping :love:

I do have a cat who goes in my room, so Freddy can probaby smell him. I can't afford to get a dog crate, and my mum won't buy me one because he is only inside in the evenings a few days a week.

He's got a litter tray which has hay in it, but I don't have water in my room for him. I'll bring a bowl of water up for him next time.

When you have his litter tray and water, maybe you can find a cardboard box or something for him to hide in, or even putting a towel so it covers a bit of the underneath of your desk, maybe put the litter tray under there too :) and lie his blanket on the floor in front so he has familiar things around him and might not feel so scared to start with :)

The key thing in my opinion is just time and patience.

My bun Benji hated coming inside at furst, he would just stamp and bite. But gradually he got used to it, I amde sure he had peace and quiet, and that I didnt mither him, and let him come to me.

I now give him his pellets insid each night, its a routine, and he's used to the inside environement as much as the outside environment now.

Just watch he doesnt get too hot, mine can only withstand about 45 minutes and then theyre panting! :)

I would bet the smell of the cat causes it to be honest, and it's understandable that it does.

You have to decide whether it's best for your bunny to persevere or to just have him as an outside bunny. That's a decision only you can make.

Look what I've just made!

DSCF4102.jpg

That's great. Could you put a throw or a blanket on top so that it hangs over the front a bit so he feels safer? That's what I've done with George and Gemma's dog crate. They free range in the kitchen but sometimes they want to just be alone somewhere secure and they go in their crate in a corner where it is dark as they have a plastic stool they can hide under.

I have eight cats and they get on fine with the bunnies but I do make sure they have a bolt hole where the cats can't follow them if they feel they need it.

Yep, I'll see if my mum can get a blanket tomorrow, I've got two blankets for freddy at the moment and they are both for in his hutch.

I do want to keep bringing him in because he has so little space outside and in my room he can stretch up and has more room.

I think Freddy is going to love exploring his new box, 2 of my rabbits created a new entrance in the last box I gave them :lol:

Back