• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

He Hates it When I Cook!

Cari

Warren Veteran
Hi All,

My bun hates it when I go into the kitchen and start cooking. He won't come into the kitchen because of the tiles and has recently taken to hiding as far away from the kitchen as possible every time I go in there to cook anything. This is relatively new behaviour and I'm not quite sure what to do! The noise of the microwave pinging makes him jump and if I go anywhere near the cooker he freaks out and hides in the corner of his cage and won't come out for a long time afterwards, even if I try and reassure him and tempt him out with some treats. I can't even put the kettle on to boil without Stephen getting upset. Has anyone else come across anything like this? Any ideas as to what to do? I don't like him being upset but as the entire of the downstairs of the house is open plan I can't put him anywhere that he wouldn't be able to hear the noises, or smell the smells if that's what is scaring him.

Any ideas would be very much welcomed.

:(

My rabbits are like this - Bailey much more so than Binky.

She doesn't mind us being in the kitchen etc but she HATES it if I start clattering anything - like forks or glasses etc (ie tidying up) - just a little bang and she skittles off to the other room.

I feel really bad because that's their 'base' but I have to wash the pots!

If she's eating pellets she holds out a bit longer before she bolts though :lol: sensible girl.

Not much advice really, I'm a bit stumped myself!

2 of mine are like this although microwave food is ok apparently. Good job I live alone :D They would run and hide if I tried to cook anything or get a pan out so I am now vegetarian and live on toast and cereal ! Both bun approved foods :lol:

SamanthaJane - At least it's not just Stephen then, I feel a little bit better! He's just so skittish. When I come back in from the kitchen with a plate of food he hides from me :(

Bunslave - Ha, well unfortunately for Stephen I am not going to give up cooking because it upsets him, we will just have to find a compromise, not quite sure how yet though.

Our matched/adopted older rabbits are the same, they hide in their houses when they hear the pots/pans in the kitchen, even though they are 2 rooms away.

Some times they even hide in their houses when you go into their room, other times they stick their ground, but after watching the Dog Whisperer I have noticed if I am concious of it and think that the rabbits are going to hide they do, but if I go into their room with a clear head, they seem calmer. Are you feeling worried about your rabbits, do rabbits pick up on this like dogs?

Start eating take out exclusively :D Sorry, I can't help you, I just wanted to make a dopey joke.

Hi there,

This may not be entirely similar, but I think it's worth mentioning as it's something I have been meaning to ask around about.

I have 2 rabbits, one neutered male, one unspayed female (though not for much longer hopefully), and it appears that whenever I cook, the female hunches up in a corner looking absolutely terrified and won't move untill the food (and most of the smell) is gone. I have no idea why she does this and my other does not. I began to think that she thought I was going to eat her! It's even more prevalent when it is meat being cooked and eaten.

I have no experience in this behaviour other than having a terrified bunny!

How about getting him a little house, which is covered with a small entrance hole, so that when he does feel scared he can go in there and it will be dark and warm, put some treats in and just let him make it a safe place for him where he won't be disturbed or made to go out. That way when you finish he can come out on his own accord!

Stephen is a great name by the way and he is a beautiful rabbit!

This is very odd! I am intrigued by this. The only thing I would think of is that perhaps they don't like the smell and have associated you entering kitchen/rattling pots and pans with the smell and so have become fearful. I suppose if some of you eat meat then perhaps that would freak them out a bit? I don't know as I'm vegan but I have noticed that Fiver will get worried if he's in the kitchen/living room when my parents feed Rosie (dog) her meat or when they are eating meat etc.
Other than that I had to constantly chase Fiver out of the kitchen when I lived on my own as he would follow me and try to "hoover" up any crumbs on the floor. :roll:

Perhaps they have been scared by the noises of the appliances when they were younger and now they associate something scary happening with you going in the kitchen. Who knows! :lol:

Back