• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I move pregnant bunny inside?

Sammyj7

New Kit
Our bunny Flopsy is pregnant and is on day 25.
This is her first litter and we are wondering if we should move her inside into our indoor cage!
Just so we can keep a closer eye on her ( protective parents we are ;)) as she has made a nest already but where it is in the hutch we cant see anything!
And just feel we wont be able to check how many etc.
but we are wondering if it will cause her more stress and would be best to leave her be.

Any advice would be great.

I'm sorry that I don't really know if it would be wise to move her inside - I imagine that unless it is absolutely necessary say very bad weather or illness, it would be best avoided.

I'm sure the doe has made her nest out of the way of prying eyes for a very good reason! Provide plenty of bedding for her to top up the nest as she see's fit, make sure the babies can't fall out of the nest, perhaps by supplying a nesting box. From what I gather from reading previous threads you can and should check on the babies, rub your hands on mum and in the litter first, get a helper to distract doe with some food and gently check I the nest for nice onus tummies.

Has the buck been removed? I presume it is a planned litter as you know the dates so I assume you have done plenty of research on breeding.

Hi yes the buck has been removed!!!
And yes it's a planned litter, have done lots of research :)
But was just stuck on the moving her indoors bit..

Thank you for your reply ;)

As already said, you'll want to minimize stress and you do not want to mess with her nest, which you would have to do if you moved her indoors. Indoor cages are too open anyway.

If you have any questions/aren't quite sure on things please don't hesitate to ask - mistakes made when breeding can have horrible consequences so its best to be clued up.

Back