• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I get him fixed?

OreoVision

New Kit
My vet said that my rabbit is to old to really benefit from being fixed, he is seven years old.
But I'm thinking of having it done anyway, him being so frisky.
I didn't have the money to get him fixed before but I found a shelter that will do it for less so now I can.
So should I go for it?

It depends by what the vet meant by not benefiting from the neuter. Does the vet question it being safe for him to go through GA?

It depends by what the vet meant by not benefiting from the neuter. Does the vet question it being safe for him to go through GA?
He said that getting fixed can help a rabbit live longer but because he is already older that he wouldn't benefit from that aspect of getting fixed.
He didn't mention GA.

I think all rabbits benefit from it and age shouldn't make a difference as long as he is healthy. However the older rabbit the higher the risk is from the general anaesthetic so I wonder if that is what your vet meant? certainly it's healthier for any rabbit to be neutered. If he;s constantly humping things it must be very frustrating for him and he also might get sore 'bits'.

I think the important thing to so would be to speak to the vet who would be doing the operation and get a gauge of how experienced they are and what their view it. If you trust them and they think he's healthy enough then I think it would be worth going for it, but there is always a risk with any operation. However he could then have a girlfriend. ;)

Ive heard that it can be dangerous for older rabbits to be Fixed? But that may have just been females being Spayed, because it is such an invasive opp.

I think I am going to get him fixed.
Like a typical rabbit mommy I am worried about the operation but I think he would be happier and more of a snuggle bunny if he got it do.
I plan to ask lots of questions before it gets done like:
What is the success rate?
Will it hurt him?
How long will it take after its done for him to recover?
How long will their will be a change in his behavior?
Stuff like that.

I know rescues over here still neuter older males as long as they are healthy. Hopefully someone like Hugo's There will see this thread and offer their opinion. :wave:

Unfortunately this is an operation that should preferably be done when they are younger, so I think you need to ask yourself what the benefits are for him. If he can have a friend once he is neutered, then yes it will be worth it, as rabbits need company. If he is frustrated and constantly humping things, then yes it will be worth it as he will be less sexually frustrated. But if these things dont apply, then personally I would not get him done - because he is getting old and there is little benefit to him. After all, this has to be for the rabbit, not the owner.

I doubt you'll see much change in behaviour I'm afraid, as he has been left for so long most of the behaviours will have become ingrained and no longer purely hormonal.

Yes it will hurt him, with pain relief he should be back to himself within a day or two, but he'll take around two weeks to heal. The success rate I'm afraid would be very hard to calculate not knowing what his gut, lungs and heart are like. Normally it is extremely low risk, but obviously the risk of anesthetic will increase with age.

edit: by the way, thought I'd mention that there is no link between being a 'snuggle bunny' and being neutered

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is an operation that should preferably be done when they are younger, so I think you need to ask yourself what the benefits are for him. If he can have a friend once he is neutered, then yes it will be worth it, as rabbits need company. If he is frustrated and constantly humping things, then yes it will be worth it as he will be less sexually frustrated. But if these things dont apply, then personally I would not get him done - because he is getting old and there is little benefit to him. After all, this has to be for the rabbit, not the owner.

I doubt you'll see much change in behaviour I'm afraid, as he has been left for so long most of the behaviours will have become ingrained and no longer purely hormonal.

Yes it will hurt him, with pain relief he should be back to himself within a day or two, but he'll take around two weeks to heal. The success rate I'm afraid would be very hard to calculate not knowing what his gut, lungs and heart are like. Normally it is extremely low risk, but obviously the risk of anesthetic will increase with age.

edit: by the way, thought I'd mention that there is no link between being a 'snuggle bunny' and being neutered
I don't plan on getting him a friend, how do I know if he really needs a friend? doesn't it take like six months to bond a pair?
how can you tell if your rabbit is sexually frustrated?
He is in good health, I don't want him to be in pain...

Would it be better to get my rabbit a friend and if so male of female?
(if I did that I would get him fixed of course)

Female. If you're going to a shelter do they have rabbits there? They might have a spayed female. :wave:

If he has lots of company from you I'm sure he's very happy, but a bunny friend always makes them happier rabbits do love to have company of their own kind. You'd have to think about if you can afford another rabbit, they don't cost much more to feed but you'd have to think about vet fees. And then when one bunny does pass away you'd have to think about getting a friend for the one on its own. So it can become a long term thing. The other thing is they might not get along, you can never guarantee it. There are lots of bonding techniques and people on here use all sorts, so you could always have a read of some of the threads. But would the shelter bond for you? Some rescues here will. Or will they take the bunny back if they don't bond? Or could you have two single rabbits?

First of all speak to the vet about whether it's safe to get him neutered. :wave:

I don't plan on getting him a friend, how do I know if he really needs a friend? doesn't it take like six months to bond a pair?
how can you tell if your rabbit is sexually frustrated?
He is in good health, I don't want him to be in pain...

All rabbits should preferably have a friend, the Rabbit Welfare Association advises that single rabbits experience high levels of stress. Rabbits have evolved to live in groups of their own kind for safety and are highly sociable, so when alone they naturally arent as happy as they could be in a pair or group.

House bunnies usually get a lot more human attention so it is generally advised to have a single rabbit indoors so they have human interaction for most of the day, but of course having a friend that speaks their own language and can be with them 24/7 is best.

It can take as little as 2 days to bond a pair, if they really like each other. It is best to get a spayed female that he clicks with straight away, if you can.

If your rabbit is sexually frustrated he will generally show it by humping things, being destructive, and perhaps aggressive.

As for pain, with adequate pain relief he will be alright, but obviously any operation carries with it some pain.

Back