• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you get teeth checked as routine?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
Or just when you suspect a problem?

Lily and Rosey are back at the vets a week saturday for their VHD and Poppy and Daisy have an appointment at the same time for their 6 monthly myxo jab (our first outing with all 4 buns!!)...I have asked if they can check their teeth (really becuase Im pretty sure there is something in our insurance plans that requests you have them checked)...the vet said she would do her best but it depends how well they behave (im sure P&D will be fine and they are very handle-able) but im not sure about L&R...would you have the babies checked or just P&D? or is the stress of it too much when I have no reason to suspect dental issues at the moment?

My vet used to do it as routine but I think he doesn't now unless I ask as he knows they eat lots of hay and have never had problems before and he knows I know about rabbits so I'd pick up on it. They get very stressed when they're checked so all in all I think it's better in our case.

Thanks Elena, P&D eat loads of hay and the vet is always really pleased with their diet when they go in...when we took Lily and rosey for their myxo last weekend she said about them being under weight and then said but they will have a fab diet with you and catch up in no time! :) Im wondering if I need to bother with it or not...they eat mountains of hay and apple sticks daily...

Each and every consultation we have teeth checked - its part of our vets standard 'checkup' during any consult. They do a 'wellness' check each time they see them.

Ours get a full check over when they have their jabs and always have their teeth checked as part of that.

Are the babies neutered? If not I'd just get them checked when they are neutered, as the vet will be able to see the teeth an awful lot better under GA. When checking them with an otoscope conciously the vet cant see the very back teeth.

I get Annabella checked every 6 months at vaccs or if she shows any difference in her eating habits or behaviour.

I get Barney checked roughly every month, or if he shows any difference in his eating habits. He has needed a couple of dentals in the past but hasnt needed one for months now.

Thanks, the babies arnt nuetered yet as they are only 14 weeks ish old so they will be done at 5-6 months so will get theres checked then. P&D had a tooth check when they were spayed in november and they were both fine but they said Poppy was a bit misaligned and she might have tooth problems later on...

Maybe I should just play it by ear and if they are alright having it done then we will...

Yes in my opinion a good vet will do a dental check as part of the normal check up. However they can't see all the teeth properly and if the rabbit is stressed it might not be possible at all.

Back