• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

re BENJAMIN MACBUNNINGTON.. vet or wait and see?

Anniebirdy

Alpha Buck
Hi all, just a quick quiery..
This morning, Benjamin has slightly smelly, soft poops. Its not in the 'diarrhea' stage, but soft enough not to be currant like and some has stuck to his scut. He's bright, eating, drinking, fine in every visable way.
Ive wiped and cleaned his bum for him, so should I just continue to observe and see if the currant type poops start to appear, or should I waste no time and get him to the vet now?
Only reason Im checking before rushing him off is simply because I know it's a bit stressful for the buns going to the vet (I always take them together no matter what) and I dont want to cause ether needless stress if Im better just waiting a while. Obviously I'll be dashing off there if it dosent improve, or gets worse, stress or no stress, but am I right to wait a bit first, maybe 2 -3 hours? Is that long enough for his poops to start forming properly, or is that simply too long?
As I said, he's bright, being nawty,(Trying to eat the walls, lol!) and eating and drinking. About 20 mile journey to my vet, so even journey a bit stressful for them. Just thought id add that info to give you the clearest picture.
Cheers folks :)

Thankyou HS. yes he is and has been eating. Outwardly normal in every way except for a slightly whiffy bahookie due to his soft, but not runny or wet poops x

personally I would assume just a slight upset and not rush to vet - but that is in part because my buns have avery varied diet so do occasionally get different pooh.

If your vets are open on a Saturday, I too would be tempted to leave it and just give him hay to eat for the next 24 hours to see if it clears up. Probiotic in the water wouldn't hurt either, if you have any.
This is what I would do, however, if you are really worried, there's no harm in ringing the vet and seeing what they think.

I'm assuming it's just his cecotrophs and not the normal hard round poos?! Is he indoors or outdoors? Sometimes the new growth of fresh spring grass can cause a few sticky poos at this time of year! Also has he been introduced to any different veggies? a new veg or a particular type of veg might not agree with him! You could try cutting back on the veg and provided hes getting lots of nice hay that may help resolve the problem! There are various reasons why his cecotrophs can be malformed my Daisy is having a few problems at the moment, but if he produces very watery stools (different to malformed cecotrophs!) that is much more serious!

Thankyou Parsnipsbum and HS x I feel thats the best thing to do at the moment, but a second or third oppinion is always good to have x

Also if he's on antibiotics (not sure if he is), that can make the cecals taste a bit funny so they don't want to eat them. Or a few extra pellets might mean he has excess cecals and also doesn't want to eat them. And then he probably just sat in it.

I'm assuming it's just his cecotrophs and not the normal hard round poos?! Is he indoors or outdoors? Sometimes the new growth of fresh spring grass can cause a few sticky poos at this time of year! Also has he been introduced to any different veggies? a new veg or a particular type of veg might not agree with him! You could try cutting back on the veg and provided hes getting lots of nice hay that may help resolve the problem! There are various reasons why his cecotrophs can be malformed my Daisy is having a few problems at the moment, but if he produces very watery stools (different to malformed cecotrophs!) that is much more serious!

It's just his poops in general Boudicca. He's an indoor bun. He did have some dandylion leaves yesterday which he dosent get a lot of, so maybe thats caused it. Nothing watery or runny regarding his poops, just unformed like they normally are, and a bit whiffy, but not vile smelling.

Also if he's on antibiotics (not sure if he is), that can make the cecals taste a bit funny so they don't want to eat them. Or a few extra pellets might mean he has excess cecals and also doesn't want to eat them. And then he probably just sat in it.

Not on antibiotics or any meds, although Ive not long since given him a bit of fibreplex. Just checked and the poops are looking better! YAY! Not quite normal, but firming up and more formed :D

Back