• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded pair fighting

clarebear

Mama Doe
I bonded Bramble (aged 5) and Bungee (aged 1) last year as some of you will know. They have been living happily together ever since. However.....over the last few weeks we have had the ocasionally fights...nothing too nasty but nipping and some flying chunks of fur. I take it this is just hormonal due to the time of year, but is distressing to watch....is there anything I can be doing? :(

It is likely to be spring but it's also important not to just assume it is in case you miss something. Have they both had a full vet check and weighing recently? That would be a good place to start.

Are you seeing the episodes? Does anything trigger them?

I bonded Bramble (aged 5) and Bungee (aged 1) last year as some of you will know. They have been living happily together ever since. However.....over the last few weeks we have had the ocasionally fights...nothing too nasty but nipping and some flying chunks of fur. I take it this is just hormonal due to the time of year, but is distressing to watch....is there anything I can be doing? :(

Hi Clarebear, the time of year was the first thing that came to my mind. Are they nuetered/speyed? Could get pretty tetchy if not :shock: Are they both eating/pooing weeing well, no changes in personality other than possible hormone driven spats? Sometimes if an animal is feeling a bit unwel they can get a bit cranky. They're deffinately scrapping and not just indulging in over enthusiastic easter entertainments?

EDIT crikey, Im glad I was only typing those last four words, and not trying to read them out to someone over the phone :shock: :D

Last edited:
Hi Clarebear, the time of year was the first thing that came to my mind. Are they nuetered/speyed? Could get pretty tetchy if not :shock: Are they both eating/pooing weeing well, no changes in personality other than possible hormone driven spats? Sometimes if an animal is feeling a bit unwel they can get a bit cranky. They're deffinately scrapping and not just indulging in over enthusiastic easter entertainments?

Easter Egg hunt? ;)

They had a trip to the vets last month as we had quite a few uneaten cecals in their hutch in the mornings. (please see my other thread in heath) They found a small spike on Bramble's tooth, but I have left it, as it hasn't seemed to be causing him any other problems, still eating loads of hay, veg and pellets.
They were both also slightly over weight, and the vet suggested I cut down their pellets, which I have done.

They are definately indulging in over enthusiastic easter entertainments!! But would this cause nipping and scrapping?

But what if the excess caecals and the behaviour is the tooth issue showing itself? Or if he has worse spurs that the vet can't view whilst he is awake?

Yes, mounting can definitely cause those issues, especially if the submissive bunny is trying it on with the dominant bunny.

They are definately indulging in over enthusiastic easter entertainments!! But would this cause nipping and scrapping?

Yes, it certainly could. Even fairly gentle humping... Hang on, we're talking about rabbits here... Even a normal 'bum-like-a-fiddlers-elbow' humping can result in fur being pulled from the back of the neck or between the shoulder blades of the under bunny, and if buns are in moult, a lot can come out quite easily, making it look more nasty than it actually is. The more I read though, the more inclined I am to say get them to the vet for a quick check-over. I know it's all money, but if something is going on healthwise, it'd generally be a lot easier to treat successfully caught early. Not wanting to panic you, it's just my gut feeling that it'd be an idea ;)

Yes, it certainly could. Even fairly gentle humping... Hang on, we're talking about rabbits here... Even a normal 'bum-like-a-fiddlers-elbow' humping can result in fur being pulled from the back of the neck or between the shoulder blades of the under bunny, and if buns are in moult, a lot can come out quite easily, making it look more nasty than it actually is. The more I read though, the more inclined I am to say get them to the vet for a quick check-over. I know it's all money, but if something is going on healthwise, it'd generally be a lot easier to treat successfully caught early. Not wanting to panic you, it's just my gut feeling that it'd be an idea ;)

Well I have given it a while, so I think maybe it's time to go back to the vets. Would hate to think of either bunny in any pain. I was just surprised that if his teeth were painful that he had continued to eat so well. Although he does eat much slower than Bungee.

Yes they are moulting too which might explain for the amount of fur around!!

One good thing is they are getting plently of exercise!

Fiver gets grumpy when his teeth are bothering him, he has recently been charging at Xena but never actually biting or pulling fur out. He just grunts/growls and charges at her and run into her with his tail up in his silly aggressive stance. Fortunately Xena just ignores him and carries on what she's doing but if she reacted to it then this could cause a fight.

Each bunny reacts differently to needing a dental, some will continue to eat but lose weight or not show any problems with their food or weight at all and just get grumpy or teeth grind and seem generally unhappy. It depends on how well your bunny deals with and shows pain.

Hope it's not his teeth and just spring fever.

Fiver gets grumpy when his teeth are bothering him, he has recently been charging at Xena but never actually biting or pulling fur out. He just grunts/growls and charges at her and run into her with his tail up in his silly aggressive stance. Fortunately Xena just ignores him and carries on what she's doing but if she reacted to it then this could cause a fight.

Each bunny reacts differently to needing a dental, some will continue to eat but lose weight or not show any problems with their food or weight at all and just get grumpy or teeth grind and seem generally unhappy. It depends on how well your bunny deals with and shows pain.

Hope it's not his teeth and just spring fever.

Bramble grinds his teeth when I brush him.....I thought he was just enjoying it!

Oh yes that will just be a "tooth purr". Most buns will do that to tell you they are enjoying it. It's when they do it without any reason, like if they are sitting hunched up or laid out it can be a sign that they are in quite a bit of pain.

Back