• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Loss of one of a pair

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
We sadly lost our male rabbit Roly on Sunday afternoon. As a result we have one female bunny on her own currently.

Call us selfish if you wish but after all that happened with Roly we couldn't face bringing his body home and instead opted for a private cremation. So of course Honey has not been given the chance to "see" Rolys body and we are unsure if this means she thinks he's still to come back or what. She seems fine in herself and is still eating and exploring the garden but we're not sure whether or not to expect her to get depressed. Is this likely or are we applying human emotions here?

I have seen so many stories of rabbits pining for lost partners it seems odd that Honey seems to have not shown anything. She was visibly distressed when Roly was at home unwell and was constantly grooming him and would not leave him alone. I hope for her sake she doesn't show signs of depression but we're unsure if this can be delayed and what to look out for.

EDIT: We have also accepted that it would be cruel to allow Honey to live out the rest of her days alone but cannot think of taking another rabbit on at the moment while the hurt of losing Roly is so fresh.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry about Roly.

It's an unknown really as to how she might react when she realises he isn't coming home. She might already know. It certainly sounds like she knew he was seriously, seriously ill so she might have made her bunny peace with it already- that's not uncommon when they see their friend so seriously ill.

I would just watch and see what happens and deal with an issue if one arises.

I definitely hear that you don't feel unable to take on another bunny right now because of what Roly went through but if you leave her by herself for your own sake (as opposed to hers) then in the future there is every chance you will feel guilty and other negative things about doing that which can make your grieving much harder. If you can just watch her and watch what her needs are, and follow them, then you'll likely find it's easier for you. It might be though, that she is comfortable alone whilst you grieve, but just bear it in mind.

I'm so sorry about Roly.

It's an unknown really as to how she might react when she realises he isn't coming home. She might already know. It certainly sounds like she knew he was seriously, seriously ill so she might have made her bunny peace with it already- that's not uncommon when they see their friend so seriously ill.

I would just watch and see what happens and deal with an issue if one arises.

I definitely hear that you don't feel unable to take on another bunny right now because of what Roly went through but if you leave her by herself for your own sake (as opposed to hers) then in the future there is every chance you will feel guilty and other negative things about doing that which can make your grieving much harder. If you can just watch her and watch what her needs are, and follow them, then you'll likely find it's easier for you. It might be though, that she is comfortable alone whilst you grieve, but just bear it in mind.

If it had been the dead of winter and freezing outside I'd have less of a problem with rushing out and trying to get another rabbit. However at the moment Honey seems OK (touch wood) and so we can hopefully afford to wait as we'd rather adopt an older rabbit of similar age to Honey and of course we'd also rather get said rabbit from a rescue.

Im so sorry you lost Roly :cry:

I've read of a vast range of reactions of a grieving bun on here, it would seem that all grieve differently. It might be that she thinks hes coming back, it might be that as he was very poorly she knew he was going and has already done her grieving. It might even be the case that she is grieving but hiding it, much as they do with illnesses that render then vulnerable.

Try and spend alot of time with her, distract her and comfort her. When I lost Tilly myself and OH slept on the floor with her grieving husbun Timmy for a week. He was very sad and would sleep on my pillow and groom my hair :cry: 2 weeks later I couldnt bare to see him sad anymore and we adopted Mimi for him. I was in no way ready to accept another bun as I was so heartbroken over losing Tilly, and it did take me some time to bond with her. But it was the best thing we could have done for Timmy, once they wee bonded he was like a new bun again :love:

I know its hard for all of you so (((HUGS)))

I'm off uni for the next three weeks so can easily spend some time with her thankfully.

we were rather hoping to go up the town but Honey has decided to dig a burrow in the garden and we don't want to force her back into her run. Normally when she's allowed out at 7.30am and goes back in for a snooze around lunch time/early afternoon but she's decided she's going to do some digging today.

She still binkies around the garden.

I'm so sorry about Roly :(

I think Honey will probably be all right as rabbits seem to have shorter memories perhaps?

I'm not sure but when any of my buns have lost a partner they have not shown much in the way of behavioural change. They are very good at getting on with life so perhaps they are stoic and practical instead. I do think time passes at a slower rate for them as well though which may be a factor in memories and moving on.

But if Roly was ill Honey would have noticed and known something was up as well so it's quite possible she already knows.

(((hugs)))

Aww im really sorry to hear this - and i know EXACTLY how you feel. We are in the same situation. Archie our Male house Lop had to be put to sleep last friday. It was heartbreaking, we again couldnt bare to bring him home so we have had a private cremation and are currently waiting to get the ashes back. Martha, our female lop is very lonely too. She keeps thumping in the night and looks fed up. She is still eating though and drinking and occasionally mooching about. Its hard to tell if they are pining/depressed. I have got her some new toys and spend a little more time entertaining her, i talk to her quite alot too. People must think im mad but im sure it helps alittle! We have really been putting off getting another rabbit cos were so heartbroken but were now coming round to the idea a little as of course like yourself we dont want Martha to be lonely; were starting to look on RSPCA.Animal shelters to see if there is a loving male bun for her somewhere! Just take it a day at a time and keep a close eye on her. We panicked at first cos her water wasnt being drunk as quick etc but then realised that it will look like this cos Archie is no longer here having his share! We were advised for now to give her the extra odd treat if she is looking abit fed up or if we are worried she hasnt eaten much!
I hope everything works out!! :love:

Back