• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just how serious would an abscess on the inside of the ankle joint be?

It would depend how big / deep the abscess is. If it has penetrated into the bone around the area. If you have caught it early then it may be treatable easily.

My Inca has had a lot of trouble in the past with abscesses on her feet. I have treated them with a course of antibiotics, flushing with dilute iodine and packing with UMF 25+ Manuka Honey. They all cleared up really well.

Thanks Kermit.

It's about thd size of a marble. It's clearly very painful. I noticed the behaviour change last week and have been searching for the why and found it tonight.

I'm making a very strong note about the Manuka Honey. Thanks.

I'm think abscess/cyst/tumour. None are particularly good in that area.

Do you know what causes Inca's?

Is this likely to be a reoccurring issue rather than totally beatable?

Inca got abscesses on her feet and her back end a lot, I think they may have been caused by her being deformed at her back end and peeing a bit on herself and then she would get infected. It took us a wee while to get on top of them but she has not had one for a while (touch wood!).

Once it gets drained I would deffo use the Manuka, I can not praise the stuff enough!

Thank you so very much. I was busy over catastrophising and thought this might be it but you've given me some hope. I'm glad Inca is doing well at the moment too in that respect :)

In the bigger ones, the vet made a cross type incision and squeezed out as much pus as he could, then i just picked the dried scab/pus off the top and squeezed out as much pus as I could every day. Sounds freaking horrible, but to be honest it gave me such satisfaction when I got loads of pus out cos I knew that I was helping her :)

:lol: I have no idea how that will be feasible with this bun but if it's necessary then well give it a go.

It would depend how big / deep the abscess is. If it has penetrated into the bone around the area. If you have caught it early then it may be treatable easily.

My Inca has had a lot of trouble in the past with abscesses on her feet. I have treated them with a course of antibiotics, flushing with dilute iodine and packing with UMF 25+ Manuka Honey. They all cleared up really well.

We have had one bunny with an abscess on the face which was lanced and +25 manuca honey put in it- the abscess hasn't come back. We also had another bunny with an abscess in her eye which was removed and has healed fine, as well as having an absess under her jaw. The one under her jaw would require removal or half of the jaw- an operation that would be far to painful. She is now on baytril and pain relief as required until such a time she stops eating and this will be when our vets have advised pts. The honey works great.

Our vets have said abscesses often recur in other parts of the body. I.e if we remove on one side of the jaw- it's likely to occur on the other and the abscess behind the eye wasn't fully removed- so it is something that could come back and needs to be kept an eye on.

All the best with the treatment of this abscess.

Back