• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will he ever bond again?

catherine09

Mama Doe
I'll explain the story for anyone who doesn't know.

We had Misty and Sweep bonded for just under three years. They were bonded after Sweep's neuter at about 5 months old and apart from that have only had to be separated once - for Misty's spay. After the spay there was slight chasing for around 5 minutes then it all settled down again and they were just as loved up as they ever were.

Sadly we lost Misty just before Christmas, and since have been searching for a lady-bun for Sweep (who is just over 3). Sweep was always very submissive in the relationship and would never get to the food first, would follow Misty round while free ranging and wouldn't dare hump her. She was very dominant over him!

In light of that, and because after she died he started to build his confidence and would free range happily on his own etc I wanted to find him a relatively calm submissive bunny for him to live his years out in peace and give him a chance to be dominant bun for once!

We found a lovely timid sweet bunny at The Rabbit Crossing and reserved her as we thought they would be the perfect match. How wrong could we have been!

He went for bonding and it was a disaster. He did the complete opposite of what everyone expected and turned aggressive towards the lovely girl, and tried to bite her face and behind and wouldn't let up. He was then tried with another, more feisty bunny and did exactly the same. Now this is a side to him that we have never, ever seen before and we were all very shocked considering him and Misty's relationship.

So he is coming home this weekend on his own, and I'm not sure what to try next. I've got so many questions whizzing around in my head. Will he do this with every bunny he meets? Will there be a bunny out there which he won't take an instant dislike to? Does he need more time to get over Misty? Could this be related to spring fever/being in an environment with lots of bunnies and bunny smells? Would it be better for me to try bonding in his home environment (though obviously not in his house - in a neutral space but away from distractions etc)?

I so desperately want him to find a wife-bun again but he has made it quite clear that the two ladies we had on offer to him he most certainly didn't like!

I'm considering in a few weeks taking him sort of 'bunny dating' at local rescues (if they are OK with this) just to see if there is a bunny out there which he doesn't take an instant dislike to, and persevere bonding with that bun in particular. Is that a good idea?

I guess I'm just looking for general advice as I'm at a bit of a loss what to do/try next! I don't think it's fair to have him as a lone bun (for obvious reasons) and we can't really bring him in as a house bun as everyone works long hours and space is an issue inside the house so he would be in a much smaller house than he is now, which I don't want to do. Plus he would be on his own all night, and until 7pm in the evenings anyway, so not enough company.

Do you know what caused his aggression? Could it be stress or fear or anxiety maybe?

Sometimes a dating method can work better. It might also be that he isn't yet ready for another friend, or it might be he is going to be exceptionally fussy.

With the tough bunnies we get that are looking for a friend from our rescue, if a bunny date doesn't go well but we trust the adopters to follow our advice and suggestions then we can foster bunnies out to them to give them the chance to spend time bonding them- this allows for a really good dating method. currently we have two bunnies out on long term fosters due to being exceptionally terrified around other bunnies and they are both doing very well thanks to the families they are with and them following our advice and working really hard with their bunnies. All bunnies will benefit from this approach. :love:

Do you know what caused his aggression? Could it be stress or fear or anxiety maybe?

Sometimes a dating method can work better. It might also be that he isn't yet ready for another friend, or it might be he is going to be exceptionally fussy.

With the tough bunnies we get that are looking for a friend from our rescue, if a bunny date doesn't go well but we trust the adopters to follow our advice and suggestions then we can foster bunnies out to them to give them the chance to spend time bonding them- this allows for a really good dating method. currently we have two bunnies out on long term fosters due to being exceptionally terrified around other bunnies and they are both doing very well thanks to the families they are with and them following our advice and working really hard with their bunnies. All bunnies will benefit from this approach. :love:

To be honest as I wasn't there during bonding I couldn't say. Helen said that he was displaying quite dominant behaviour like sitting with his back to other bun and eating, then he would turn and lunge. I have noticed over the past few months he has got a little jumpy and Helen picked up on this, he doesn't hear you coming until the last minute then jumps. I don't know therefore if the agression is fear provoked as he feels he is going to be 'sneaked up on'?!

I don't mind doing a long bonding but have never really done a proper bond before (M&S just bonded instantly without a fuss) and I would be nervous of putting Sweep in a pen with another bunny due to the reaction he has been displaying. Would a slow bond be better so I can gauge his mood through the bars?

I don't think Sweep is terrified around other bunnies, as I say he lived happily with Misty for 3 years and is a confident little chap.

Is he deaf? Or going deaf? Maybe?

He's not deaf as he definitely still hears things, but I think he may not have as good hearing as he should...something I will ask about next time he's at the vets :thumb:

I think to an extent he relied on Misty to do the hearing for him....she was always very alert and he followed her around and if she ever got spooked and ran into the house he would follow etc...

Back