• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bumps on rabbits face?

I have a male rabbit and he has several bumps on both sides of his face which i have never noticed until today. They all have fur growing from them but one of the bumps is yellow and crusty. Are the bumps supposed to be there??

No, that is not at all normal and concerns me greatly.

Is there any chance you could post a picture of this?

Is your bunny vaccinated against myxomatosis?

Is bunny eating/drinking/pooping and weeing as normal?

I would take him to the vet today to get these checked out as it should not be like this.

Myxi, abcess?? Not sure but needs to see a vet asap.

Sounds like simple 'Rabbit Acne' to me, not in the least bit like Myxi

A Vet check would be a good idea to confirm this :)

2isbkll.jpg

Last edited:
Some Rabbits get little pustules at the base of their whiskers, not unlike human acne. The pustules scab over and fall off. You can sometimes notice it when a little tuft of fur is poking out a the side of the Rabbit's face.

Some Rabbits get little pustules at the base of their whiskers, not unlike human acne. The pustules scab over and fall off. You can sometimes notice it when a little tuft of fur is poking out a the side of the Rabbit's face.

This is what I was thinking. Does it look like a clump of fur stuck together with something hard? Sometimes they fall off with the tuft of fur attached?
Smoo gets this and the vets have never thought it was serious. :wave:

hi, thanks for all the replies
im glad it doesnt seem like anything too serious

ill just keep and eye on them and see if they heal themselves or get worse

My lops seem to get this. At the base of their whiskers are small lumps, I assumed it was something to do with the follicle getting a bit infected. I keep an eye on them that they don't get worse but other than that leave them alone.

Back