• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Bun owners

I would get a large dog crate and a puppy play pen (like the trixie metal runs) to attach. Very flexible set up that way :) and you can build a shelf to put in the crate which creates an extra level. Bunnies like extra levels :D I think there's a sticky in housing for indoor set ups like the sort you're thinking of :)

Ours don't have a cage, they just have the bottom of one of those indoor hutch things (like a large plastic tray) where we put their litter tray and water bowl. They are never shut in anywhere, but can free range in the kitchen and dining room when we're not there, and then a bit further afield when we're in.

I'd get a large dog pen or make a NIC pen, no commercial 'rabbit' cages are big enough so you have to improvise! The size you go for depends on how long they are going to be in there.

If they will get 12+ hours out a day you could always get a 6x2 hutch and bring it indoors, or better yet a playhouse.

I have a NIC pen with a couple of shelves that they can jump on/hide under, but even at 36sqft in total the buns decided it was still too small for overnight use and were destructive when out of it, so they are now free-range 24/7. If you can have them free-range (you'll likely need to do some bunny-proofing) it gives them much more space, you more space in the room and you wont end up spending loads on a setup.

Until recently, my pair had just a play pen as their home. I wouldn't personally use the Trixie one on it's own as I don't think it's strong or sturdy enough tbh. I used one where the panels are fixed together permanently and it weighs twice the weight of the Trixie one, and I used it with a few Trixie panels attached to make it bigger :D (I THINK, the heavier one I'm talking about is this one: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/runs_fencing/73280/8_sided/95235 but not 100% sure as I bought it off Gumtree for less than £5 O.O). Now that they've been separated, Milky's free ranging in my room and Honey is free ranging in my sister's room with just a litterbox, water bowl + little table to hide under.

EDIT: Yeah, like someone said, the commercial cages are way too small on their own. Plus like, twice the price of a decent run. I don't get why people use the tiny expensive cages instead of the spacier more flexible runs xP

I have noticed the cages being really small but the bun im looking to adopt was in one, so if i get her on tues im gonna buy one of them (she is small enough for it just now) and order a run on the net, and when the run come im gonna put it in front of the cage and leave the door open to the run 24/7 as house is no where near bunny proofed and my room is the best/biggest place to put her and for the space in my room this seems like the ideal option

Idea was from the sticky in the housing but on the forum

You'll be wasting your money on a commercial cage - my 4ft one is just taking up space stored behind the sofa as we speak ;) it sounds like you are talking about using one temporarily but they are £100+ so not cheap for a quick fix. Could you borrow something from someone whilst the stuff you're going to order comes, maybe a friend who has a dog crate? Or order the run you are going to use online now with next day delivery, it will get there Tuesday.

Bear in mind the commercial cages are also really noisy. If bun moves the bars in some way, for instance getting out of their litter tray or pulling hay from the rack the bars clang and its so irritating when you're trying to sleep.

The cage is £60 and ill use it even when i get the run. So it wont be a waste of money.

No one can give me anything else asked everyone :/

As for ordering the run and rush delivery there is no certainty I will get bun so a dont really want to pay now and not get then bun, the only reason im getting another one is because I was there when old owner brought it in and fell head over heels.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x174/Elena-Schu/Housing thread/Indoor/Pens/3-01.jpg

This is what I plan on doing with it and as bun gets bigger ill just use the base of the cage and add to the run.

The cage is £60 and ill use it even when i get the run. So it wont be a waste of money.

No one can give me anything else asked everyone :/

As for ordering the run and rush delivery there is no certainty I will get bun so a dont really want to pay now and not get then bun, the only reason im getting another one is because I was there when old owner brought it in and fell head over heels.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x174/Elena-Schu/Housing thread/Indoor/Pens/3-01.jpg

This is what I plan on doing with it and as bun gets bigger ill just use the base of the cage and add to the run.

Oh I thought you meant the commercial rabbit cages, I think dog crates like in the pic are less noisy. Make sure cage + pen are at least 3.5-4ft high, as otherwise bun may jump onto the roof and escape! Some buns can jump even higher! If the cage was lower though I guess you could put it inside the pen instead of attaching the pen to it, but you'd have to make sure the pen didnt get on the roof of the cage and then use it as a ledge to then jump out of the pen - a sheet pegged over the top of the pen may be an idea. The size of area shown will be fine for bun as long as she gets some time out of it each day :)

Last edited:
The pen im looking at had a sheet to go over and a sheet to go under so im pretty set on that one.

I would rather have a dog cage but as its such short notice the cage will do and maybe in a year ill get a dog cage and sell on the other one to make sure i got my moneys worth.

But as I said it is only by a coincidence im getting a new bun or i would have planned further along!

I just hope i get her now that ive done all this planning i will be gutted if i dont!

Back