• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insulating a shed - help needed

Aliswan

Warren Scout
I'm wanting to insulate my shed ready for my bunnies moving outside.
I bought a thermometer that measures indoor and outdoor temperature and there is on average 3 degrees of difference so I want to insulate the shed to try and get a more consistent temperature.
I've measured up the shed and there's 13m2 of walls and ceiling to cover.
I have bought 15m2 of foil insulation from ebay which should arrive next week. I am wondering how it would be best to attach it to the walls and roof?
I'm looking into getting some plywood to put over the insulation but I'm really stuck as to how it would be best to do it for a reasonable price. I can buy 5 sheets of 4mm ply 2440x1220 for £45 but I'm not sure if I'll be able to cut them to size to cover the whole shed.
This is the layout of the shed panels that I need to cover, can anyone tell me if 5 boards would be enough? Also how would I cut the plywood to size?
Shedmeasurements-1.jpg

I'm wanting to insulate my shed ready for my bunnies moving outside.
I bought a thermometer that measures indoor and outdoor temperature and there is on average 3 degrees of difference so I want to insulate the shed to try and get a more consistent temperature.
I've measured up the shed and there's 13m2 of walls and ceiling to cover.
I have bought 15m2 of foil insulation from ebay which should arrive next week. I am wondering how it would be best to attach it to the walls and roof?
I'm looking into getting some plywood to put over the insulation but I'm really stuck as to how it would be best to do it for a reasonable price. I can buy 5 sheets of 4mm ply 2440x1220 for £45 but I'm not sure if I'll be able to cut them to size to cover the whole shed.
This is the layout of the shed panels that I need to cover, can anyone tell me if 5 boards would be enough? Also how would I cut the plywood to size?
Shedmeasurements-1.jpg

sorry im not much help, but could you staple the foil insulation to the wall?????Im hoping to move my indoor bunnies outside into shed when i move too and am worried about making it warm enough...

We stapled the foil to the walls and ceiling and it works well. We have not covered in ply as when we did it in their wendy house we could that condensation got behind it and made it damp. I don't know if others have found this or if we did it wrong :?

We have left ours open but not put it where bunnies will chew it.

Thank you both, I thought of staples but was worried the walls might be too thin to hold them.
Bunny_Babe, have you found that the insulation has helped even though it isn't covering the whole shed?
I've read that blocking it in the plywood could cause condensation so was wondering if putting vents in would help.

All three of my sheds are insulated, and it does make a considerable difference, so well worth doing imo.

I stapled the insulation to the shed walls, and the ply is fixed onto the support bars inside the shed, which creates about a 1" gap between insulation and board, so you get ventilation between the layers.

The ply is easily cut with a jigsaw (easiest option for cutting out windows etc, or with a handsaw, and 5 sheets should about do it!

All three of my sheds are insulated, and it does make a considerable difference, so well worth doing imo.

I stapled the insulation to the shed walls, and the ply is fixed onto the support bars inside the shed, which creates about a 1" gap between insulation and board, so you get ventilation between the layers.

The ply is easily cut with a jigsaw (easiest option for cutting out windows etc, or with a handsaw, and 5 sheets should about do it!

Great thank you!

I'll try and hire a jigsaw to make life easier for me!

You could use double sided tape to secure the foil. If your buns arne't chewers you could use hardboard to cover it over but if they chew use plywood.

Great thanks, I can get the jigsaw and vents at the same time, would one at either end of the shed be ok?
Could do, not sure, depends on the size. I would use 3 at least, one on each side of the walls leaving the front with door missing one. However the bigger the shed, the more you may need, like 2 each side. The idea is to allow air to flow in and out in one direction. I would fit them under the roof rather than the floor.

Back