• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help...

GingerNinja

Young Bun
One of my young rabbits has just been let out by my three and a half year old who "played" with him. He was panting when I got to him and visibly frightened. I took him as quickly as I could back to his cage and have returned him. Is there anything else I can do for him, I think he's in shock because he's still shaking. I'm trying to leave him alone and just observe, I will have him at the vets first thing as soon as it's open as he's favouring one leg at the front. How can I help him? :cry:

Please don't be mean, I have as many safeguards in place as I can, I thought they were safe, she has behavioural issues that I am trying to get help with and short of locking her in her room (which is against the law) I don't know what to do. I'm getting my partner to put a lock on the downstairs door tomorrow when he gets back from work.

if he is in shock keep him warm and in a dark, quiet room. Hopefully he's not in shock and is just frightened :(

Thank you William. I have him here in a darkened room and the heating is on low with his cage next to the radiator. He has stopped panting and is sitting in his hay pile. I've made sure he has food and water nearby. I feel sick that this has happened. :(

He seems okay. He is moving around his cage, munching away on hay. Little bit jumpy and I can't see if he is favouring his foot at the moment. I am going to take both of the rabbits let out of their cages for a health check at the vets today, to be sure she's not hurt them and they are just hiding it well.

Padlocks on cages, a safety chain on the downstairs door and an alarm to let me know when she leaves her room. Won't happen again, she has behavioural problems like I say, she's not horrible, she just doesn't understand about hurting people and animals.

Vet checked both of my boys over, Cody seems to be mobile, just favouring the leg slightly, so she gave him an anti inflammatory injection and I've to keep my eye on him. Both had sex confirmed and general well-being check, no wonder I panicked a bit with Ginger, his balls have not descended and he has a very small penis. All three of my rabbits are due to be neutered in a months time and have their vaccinations for myxi and erm... the one that begins with a V? Six monthly for myxi and yearly for the other one she said, is that right? And apparently Ginger may need to have a procedure more like being spayed if his balls do not descend.

All you can do is learn from a situation, which you have done. Hopefully it won't happen again :)

Yup, myxo every six months, and VHD annually :)

Hopefully your little boy will drop his bits. Sometimes they can take longer in some rabbits. If they are undescended then they will either be just in the inguinal canal but unable to drop (i.e. where they should be, but the gap may be too small for them to drop through), or he may be malformed and they may be attached to internal organs such as kidneys.

It will be even more important to get him neutered if they don't descend, but hopefully they will. My Sky had one undescended testicle, and it was where it should be, just couldn't drop through. He had to have his abdomen opened up and his muscle layers cut through. His operation was more painful than a spay but had to be done for his own safety. He had a lot of pain relief after and that will be key to ensuring that your guy recovers well if this is the case.

You did everything you could, and took him to the vet to make sure! Don't beat yourself up! Accidents happen, even with the most vigilant parent. Glad you have a few more safeguards in place and that he's absolutely fine!

Welcome to the bunny learning curve.:wave:

We all have had to start somewhere.

Well done for joining RU and seeking advice.

Hopefully everything will be alright.:thumb:

Back