• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

need vibes for chesney (piggy)-*happy and stable*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
i found blood in ches and maisie's cage. nothing obvious with either of them. weighed ches tonight instead of sunday and he's down 95g this week. :cry: my vet isn't in until monday but our second choice of vets is open saturdays luckily so we're heading there as soon as they open.

ches is fine in himself. he's still eating and pooping fine. they hide things so well.

i'm going to be up all night now, i'm so worried. he was ill in august before his dental and dropped so much weight. it took us all these months to get him up a bit and now he's dropped way lower than even that time. :(

can you think of him please. i'm thinking it must be bladder related/stones/uti etc. :(

eta: forgot to say - maisie did wee's on my knee and they were clear. i had a feeling it was ches that wasn't right, i just couldn't put my finger on it until i found the blood and weighed him. :(

Last edited:
ches ran over for his breakfast, he teeth chattered at me to hurry up with making it! and he ate it fine and has been eating hay since. he looks fine and there are lots of poops in the cage, ches and maisie's, so i know he's pooping fine.

i'm going to re-weigh him now hoping i read the scales wrong last night.. :roll: then check the cage for anymore blood.

and this is one of those times where i can't wait to leave the house. i just want to get him checked over. i'm taking the blood stained towels aswell to show the amount of blood i found.

right, better go and weigh him and have some cuddles. will update later. thanks for thinking of him. he means the world to me this little piggy. x

ches ran over for his breakfast, he teeth chattered at me to hurry up with making it! and he ate it fine and has been eating hay since. he looks fine and there are lots of poops in the cage, ches and maisie's, so i know he's pooping fine.

i'm going to re-weigh him now hoping i read the scales wrong last night.. :roll: then check the cage for anymore blood.

and this is one of those times where i can't wait to leave the house. i just want to get him checked over. i'm taking the blood stained towels aswell to show the amount of blood i found.

right, better go and weigh him and have some cuddles. will update later. thanks for thinking of him. he means the world to me this little piggy. x

Good luck at the Vets xx

we're back - the vet said ches looks ok in himself but obviously he has lost alot of weight. the worrying thing was that i took one towel with blood on and she said it was alot of blood. and that was one of four blood soaked towels/fleeces.

she wants to treat him for a uti first for a week and wanted to give me baytril but i asked for septrin instead. so he's on that now, and metacam but i think the doses are way too low personally.

septrin - 0.1ml twice a day
metacam - 0.3ml twice a day

i'm ringing my normal vets on monday to speak to them about the doses and treatment because i also think a weeks course isn't long enough.

she kept saying that with that amount of blood it is more likely to be stones or a tumour or something. but obviously he would need more tests.

after i have spoken to my usual vet i will see what is best but i feel he will probably end up having urine sample and xrays etc.

can anyone advise me on the doses please?

she also mentioned that ches looked quite pale, which i had noticed but didn't mention before. his lips are pink-white rather than pink. he lost quite alot of blood so she thinks he will be feeling quite lethargic and may be anaemic.

i also have to get more fluids into him aswell.

she was a nice vet and i liked that she was honest and said she would recommend going to my usual vets for any further tests etc as they are the best. so at least she was honest about that.

does anyone have any thoughts about all this and the doses, any advice?

we have decided to take ches first thing monday morning to see aidan and then see where we go from there.

i'm really quite annoyed at the moment because ches was eating fine before we went to this other vets today but since we got back he is struggling to chew and eat. he wants to but is looking like he did before he needed the dental last time. i don't know if she has hurt his mouth when she checked his teeth, or if this was going to happen anyway.

ches is still eating but small pieces of hay and pellet mash. his veg i am having to cut into tiny pieces aswell.

now i'm wondering if the bleeding may have come from his mouth? i really don't know. but he certainly is acting exactly the same as before he needed a dental last time and last time he needed his teeth filed and he also had infections in gaps between the teeth and he has elongated tooth roots aswell so we were told this may happen again. the signs are all the same, minus this blood.

i am now concerned that he is being treated for a uti when that may not be the issue. but i'm going to continue with the septrin and metacam until we see aidan on monday. i'm so glad he's back monday.

ches looks in pain when he eats bt other than that he is acting fairly bright. but when eating earlier, he ate some hay, stopped, looked shocked and then kind of swayed side to side. he was definitely in pain. then he was eating pellet mash but when he got a harder piece of pellet he looked almost scared to try and eat again. luckily he does keep trying and eating small tiny tiny pieces.

i'm giving him his meds in about half an hour, cleaning the cage out to check for anymore blood. and he will be syringe fed now aswell.

he looks very slim now. he's at his lowest weight ever. after his dental and infection he took over a month to build back up but never got near his before weight. now he has dropped even more and it's very worrying.

i will be weighing him daily aswell to keep a record of his weight.

anymore advice welcome. and if anyone could advise what they think of the dose of septrin 0.3ml twice a day. i feel it's very low but i don't have any experience with using septrin.

thanks everyone. x

right, for once i'll try and keep this update short!

- weight 1005g to 1023g (+18g)
- couldn't eat cabbage
- eating slower
- choosing short, think strands of hay and the pieces of hay i have cut into small pieces
- drinking slightly more water than he normally would
- looks bright and not in any discomfort
- tiny amount of watery pink blood/urine last night
- no blood in the cage today so far
- lips and nose still look a little bit too pale
- fully checked over again with no signs of anything obvious

Sorry Ive no advise as Im not knowledgeable on piggies atall, just wanted to send more vibes xxx

thank you, vibes are always appreciated. ches is quite bright surprisingly but we are off to the vets tomorrow again, the usual vet, so we'll see what he wants to do. x

thanks for the vibes. i don't think i'll get any sleep tonight, i'm quite anxious really. i've had about six hours sleep since friday. i have no idea how i am still standing! :roll:

Hope everything goes well with Chesney! Keep us updated! And I hear you about the no sleep.. Been struggling a bit with my bun, so I understand!

:bunny:

it's not looking too good. vet was very worried by the amount of blood. he doesn't need a dental. vet doesn't think it is a uti.

ches had dropped weight today, his temperature reading was low, his muscle tone/body condition is not good. his lips and nose are pale, and the vet took bloods and his blood is watery.

we're waiting on the blood test results which the vet will ring with in a few hours. he's thinking anaemia and possibly something else which is probably not looking like something good.

poor ches is looking a bit shell shocked. we have recovery food for him as he's not eating very well. he's come off septrin but will stay on metacam for now.

i'm really really worried and very upset. i'll update later after the vet rings.

Back