• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit ate silly band!

my3monkees

Young Bun
My dd's rabbit just ate a silly band. For those that don't know what they are, they are a thin little stretchy rubber bracelet. I don't even know where it came from, kids haven't worn them in quite a while. My dd had picked it up off the floor and set it on the couch. She walked into the kitchen and by the time I realized the bunny had jumped up on the couch and was eating it, there was only 1 piece left which she managed to eat before we could grab it! :oops:

Anything we can do, or just keep and eye on her poo for a few days?!?!

At least I know she didn't get it all in one piece. I imagine it will be safer passing in pieces than in one piece that could get twisted?
She is a 3 lb Netherland Dwarf mix.

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't know how to make picture smaller!
bun.jpg

I can't see the photo. But I think you need to take the rabbit to the vet. There maybe nasty chemicals or something in them!

You need to keep a very close check on fecal output. Feed her lots of hay and make sure she also has a good water intake. I would call the Vet too and se if he/she thinks a full examination is needed right away.

If her poos look smaller than normal then I would definitely get her to a Vet to be examined straight away *even if she seems bright within herself and eating OK*

Hopefully the pieces of band will pass through, but you will need to remain extra vigilant for the next 2-3 days.

Back