• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit lost partner

starla

New Kit
I had a pair of bunnies, and the male bun has just had to be pts due to reoccuring and severe bouts of e cunniculi :( I am left with a female lone bun and am not sure what to do. My dilemma is I didn't really want any more animals, I have some guineas already and another very happily bonded pair of buns. I'm very sad for her but it makes it harder because she has not been neutered - something I plan to get done asap (I was misinformed and told it wasn't necessary)

A family friend has said they would take her and give her a comfortable life, but I worry about her, my animals welfare is important to me and I would want a new owner to take as much care, not to mention that I would miss her so much :(

No matter what she is going to be neutered, but help :( I don't know what to do :/
She is 3.5 years old.

thanks for your reply, that would be a great idea but Im concerned about how it would go, they are both nethies and the male bun of that pair quite protective. She is a big bun too, worried she may kick or something and hurt one of the smaller buns? I would love to try it so I definately won't rule it out but I am a little nervous.

I'm sorry you lost your bunny.

I think it's good you plan to get her spayed. Could you maybe bring her indoors to live indoors?

Size doesn't matter too much when it comes to bonding bunnies, it is just a case of being vigilant whilst bonding. If you think a trio would be worthwhile considering it might be wort reading the sticky at the top of this forum. It might help you make some decisions.

hi, yes bringing indoors would be an ideal option but we have dogs and a puppy who is absolutely obsessed with the bunnies, I have tried introducing them slowly but the puppy just wants to clean them and chase them :/ I could put her in another room but yeah again not really ideal.

We went through a similar dilemma when Boo died, and much as Scarlet seems happy by herself and is a joy to look after because she is 100% litter trained and the hutch is spotless, I think that buns need other buns which is why we're adopting another rescue bun.

Very sad situation and not a nice one to be in. If trying to bond all three together could be an option then you could ask a local rescue to do it for you if you are not confident doing it yourself. That way it would be totally neutral and more likely to succeed.
If you really don't want to have another rabbit and bonding a trio isn't for you then you could always ask a rescue to find a new home safe in the knowledge that they will be home checked (if you choose the right rescue).
Good luck with whatever you decide to do:)

If it was me I would try to bond her with the pair. If you are worried you could ask somebody close by who knows about buns to help? I'm sure somebody will help you to bond them. Of course this would be best done after her spay. Is she clear of EC? I'd get her tested before doing anything with her tbh since It's passed on through urine.

How is she coping after losing her mate?

It is awful losing a bunny especially when they are bonded and leave a partner behind. Hope your ok.

x

Very sad situation and not a nice one to be in. If trying to bond all three together could be an option then you could ask a local rescue to do it for you if you are not confident doing it yourself. That way it would be totally neutral and more likely to succeed.
If you really don't want to have another rabbit and bonding a trio isn't for you then you could always ask a rescue to find a new home safe in the knowledge that they will be home checked (if you choose the right rescue).
Good luck with whatever you decide to do:)

Personally I would not risk trying to bond with your existing pair if they are happy and settled. I think the first step would be to have her spayed and then perhaps approach a rescue to see if they have a suitable bunny they could bond her with for you.

Back