• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blanche - A tribue and goodbye.

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
Blanche
March 2010 - 23rd August 2011
e32213ac.jpg
3da83323.jpg

I'm not too sure why I felt the need to write this now, you've been gone for several months now but the gap still hasn't quite healed. I'm only one sentence in and I'm already filling up with tears. I always knew the risks associated with gut statis but I never realized how cruel it could be. That despite urgent vet care it could, and would, still kill.

You came from a pet shop and I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't care that you weren't a rescue. Your beautiful ginger fur and stunning face attracted me straight away. The minute I found out you were a little girl, you were coming home with me. No matter what. I got in trouble with my parents and put myself out of pocket with regards to your vaccinations and spay but I worked round it. I had to. I wanted to.

28375_393144583497_514268497_3899503_2712798_n.jpg

My first ever photo of you.

You were named Blanche after Blanche Hunt. My favourite coronation street character, who had died earlier in the year. You didn't suit the name at first, such a harsh name for such a pretty face but over time it just fitted. You were a one and only, just like the character you were named after.

I went against the book and bonded you with Archie before your spay. It was love at first sight and within no time you were either sat grooming each other or causing havoc. If you weren't eating my dads plants you were findings ways to break into the food tub. I remember one spring day I was cleaning out your hutch, so allowed you to free range. I turned my back for a few minutes and to my horror couldn't find you. I looked everywhere, I even crawled into the dark scary bush that I've feared since I was little. Soon I was reduced to tears and the whole family were out looking for you. Then, we heard a rustle and out your little head popped ...
93ed22e5.jpg

You were the most intelligent little bun, you knew your name and charged over at the shake of the food tub. You immediately worked out the teach and treat, whereas Archie, many months on still hasn't got a clue what's going on. :roll:

You went in for your spay and stole the hearts of the nurses, as well as a fair few people in the waiting room. Some still ask about you now. When you came home Archie nursed you back to perfect health. We tried to keep you contained in a 4x4ft pen to allow you to heal but neither of you were having any of it. We'd leave you at night looking like this.
8ecd2186.jpg

In the morning we'd find Archie lay outside my bedroom door and yourself asleep on my brothers bed. It took us ages to work out how you we're escaping. Turns out Archie would lift the panels up with his nose and you would sneak out, we're still not entirely sure how he managed to follow but between you you hatched a plan. Even when we thought we'd manage to secure you, I still came down the following day to find you asleep on the veg rack. That was you two though, best friends and partners in crime.
d8b06b16.jpg

35c0e9dd.jpg

Although Archie had opened my heart already to the wonders of rabbits, you made me realize something much more. More to the point, you made my non-animal loving family realize that rabbits weren't just rabbits. That you are all beautiful, intelligent, unique and loving. That no two rabbits are the same and that a solo rabbits life can be enhanced so much more by just having a pal.

17dfc6a1.jpg

8515fa09.jpg

I remember the Saturday morning I realized you were ill. I didn't know what or why, I just knew that something was wrong. I let you out for a run, see if that would liven you up. Instead of charging around as usual, you vanished. Archie soon found you and, unlike him at free range time, just lay down. Next to you, still. You were in the dark scary bush. The bush I feared as a child. The bush that stretches back at least four foot. You just lay, listless. In hindsight it's as if you went there to die and Archie just knew. No amount of coaxing would get you out, in the end my OH had to clamber over the shed (involving him startling next door) and bring you out.

313245_10150286326158498_514268497_7686560_5459547_n.jpg

My last ever photo of you.

You were carted off to the vets and before long were admitted. I asked if Archie could go along with you but they wanted to monitor your output closely, something I understand although I feel it didn't do him any good. I didn't really say goodbye as such as I've heard about stories of gut statis on here, I knew it was bad but I also knew I'd got you the care you needed. I was optimistic, wrongly. On the Monday morning I woke at 7am, anxious. At 7.15am I had a call from the vet, I was expecting the call so didn't fret. He sounded chipper, asked me how I was. I immediately relaxed, thinking such chatter could only mean a good thing and then he said the words. You were gone. He was with you as you passed, stroking and soothing you. I went so very formal, a simple "Oh no, she's not?" left my mouth. I thanked him for everything and calmly hung up. Then took one huge breath and broke down into tears, sobbing my heart out, curled up in a ball on the front room floor. I woke my parents who came down and hugged me, not saying anything, knowing nothing would ease my pain. I looked up at my dad, someone who never really cared for animals, never wanted them. His eyes were glistening with tears.

That day I went to work, tried to carry on as normal, knowing most people would see it as "only a rabbit". Every now and again popping off to the toilets to cry my eyes out. I came home and saw your carrier, labeled "Blanche" but instead of seeing you scrabbling at the door for attention, a simple grey towel lay in there. I scooped up your limp body, took you outside and sat down on the patio. Cradling your body, kissing your beautiful fur and soaking you with my tears. I literally had to have you dragged away from me. You were buried by my dad in the place we feel you want to die. I couldn't watch. The grief was too much. As he stepped back into the house after he had laid you to rest his face was steaming with tears.

That was you Blanche. You changed not only my life and views but also that of someone whose by his own admission "couldn't care less as long as there fed, watered and not in pain". Even now the entire family look back and reminisce on you. On how you were a "pretty little thing" and how we'd have you back in an instance.

I want to thank you. Thanks to you Evie, Pearl and Albie have all come into my life and helped fill your gap but no bun will ever be the same. I wouldn't want them to be but I don't want to be without you either. I hope you're happy up there and I hope that even if we don't meet again, that at least one day Archie will find you and you'll be able to cause havoc again. Don't worry, your man is safe and well, looking after Pearl and Evie but I can guarantee he still misses you as much, if not more, than I do.

I love you.

x

Last edited:
Blanche truly was one stunning bunny. What a beautiful tribute to her.

Hope you are sleeping tight with all the bunny angels little one x

sweet dream Blanche-xxx-

what a pretty bunny where you! :love:

such an amazing tribute.
you were truly lucky with Blache.
truly made my eyes fill with tears
don't know what else to say dear
*hugs*

A beautiful tribute - I could really get a sense of her personality from your description of her xx :cry: xx

Am so sorry you lost her so young - life is so unfair. Sendings lots of hugs. She was a truly gorgeous bunny.

Back