• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with urine problems!

emilyarc

Warren Scout
Hi,
My rabbit has had urine problems ever since I had him - the vet treated him with panacur for 6 weeks and it cleared it up. He is now about 7 years old and is back end has been getting worse again. Seen by vet and we tried panacur again however this time it is not working. The vet saw him at my house today and expressed his bladder - some got on my jean and was thick and gritty and sandy but no stones that the vet could feel. The urine dried quickly and i could just dust of the urine from my trousers as it came of like powder!

Anyone else experienced this or have any advice? We have clipped and shaved him back end and given him a aloe vera bath to keep his bottom as clean as possible but as the urine is so gritty its just soaking into his fur poor boy.

Many thanks

Worthwhile having bloods done to test for an infection of some sort, or even for kidney function? Could it be a UTI?

Does he have a high calcium diet at all?

Vet has seen urine and does not think its a UTI.
His diet is timothy western hay and in litter trays etc normal hay from bale then every other day allen and page pellets. Then has veggies sometimes.

It sounds as though he has bladder sludge. This can occur in elderly Rabbits who become less mobile. Did the Vet suggest any other treatment such as a bladder wash out (under GA), antibiotics (secondary bacterial infection is common with chronic 'bladder sludge')

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

Did the Vet give you any advice re dietary modification to reduce the amount of calcium fed ?

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-5/calcium.html

Hi,

yep - we think we are going to try catherise and flush out bladder to see if it helps! She said to avoid alphfa hay and to feed lots of greens (obviously not over the top!)

Should i put sudocream on his bottom to create a barrier so it does not get sore?

Hi,

yep - we think we are going to try catherise and flush out bladder to see if it helps! She said to avoid alphfa hay and to feed lots of greens (obviously not over the top!)

Should i put sudocream on his bottom to create a barrier so it does not get sore?

You can do, but the skin needs to be perfectly clean and dry before you apply the cream.

Using towels for bedding may help too, the towels can be changed throughout each day to minimise the amount of wee he sits in.

Is he drinking a lot ?

Hi,

I'd say the complete opposite actually :oops: Lots of greens are high in calcium, so it'd be best to avoid many of them.

What greens do you feed?

Does he drink an awful lot at all?

He does not seem to be drinking excessively. vet advised cabbage leaves and broccoli leaves to increase water intake. Thanks for advice - will definately take him in next week for GA & flush of bladder as reading the article Jane send definately sounds and looks like that.

He does not seem to be drinking excessively. vet advised cabbage leaves and broccoli leaves to increase water intake. Thanks for advice - will definately take him in next week for GA & flush of bladder as reading the article Jane send definately sounds and looks like that.

Maybe this may help with keeping an eye on low calcium/high calcium greens :wave:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-5/calcium.html Broccolli is somewhere in the middle

One of mine had bladder sludge a few years ago and we tend to stick to spring greens mainly and they have Oxbow Bunny Basics T which is lower in calcium than other foods and *touches wood* we have not had any more incidents.

We also give them water out of a bowl. If you add a dash of boiling to make it lukewarm they tend to drink more too which helps keep them hydrated.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

Back