• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Humptastic doe

reehsetin

Warren Scout
I know neutered boys can still hump and I know sometimes it's a dominance thing but just want to check that this wont be the end of a beautiful bond.

I got my girly Kushi at the start of September and she was bonded with Mj. She was only a couple of months when we got her and around bonding time Mj would hump her but within a few weeks he'd stopped. We went away in November and they stayed with my in laws and we got reports that she kept humping Mj, we thought it was just a phase but she's still doing it now... and it's a very common occurance, Christmas day she was trying it every time I saw them.

Sometimes I think it's because she's over excited like once I've given them a treat. She was spayed before we got her. Mj doesn't like it at all he keeps running away.

Does this sound normal? Could it start a fight between them? I'm breaking them up when I see it is it the right thing to do?

Mounting is part of rabbit communication and so it is normal and ok to see it.

What happens if you don't break it up? Does it lead to circling?

I'd call it chasing more than anything, he runs away and she keeps running after him. I don't think theyre circling

As long as the chasee is coping ok with what is going on and it's not progressing to fighting then it should be fine :) I have a trio bonded for nearly 4 years who chase several times a day and another pair who have been bonded nearly two years who also chase a lot too. We have no fights and that is just how their bond dynamics work.

As long as the chasee is coping ok with what is going on and it's not progressing to fighting then it should be fine :) I have a trio bonded for nearly 4 years who chase several times a day and another pair who have been bonded nearly two years who also chase a lot too. We have no fights and that is just how their bond dynamics work.

This - my pair have a good chase every day, with Biscuit trying (and 99% of the time failing...) to mount his partner. It's part of their bond and is completley normal.

If it's just randomly started, i'd actually attribute it to the weather possibly - its unusually mild this year, so they may be confused with the seasons.

:D great! I'll just keep keeping an eye on them and make sure it doesn't get out of hand, they've both just got such strong personalities I think they're always going to be fighting it out for dominance

Back