• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

noise followed by a thump?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser is doing it again. He did this early yesterday morning, and we put it down to the wind outside. I was sure then, but am now quite certain that he is making a little noise prior to the thumps. I'm assuming some kind of fear - possibly dislike of music (not particularly loud) in the room downstairs. Would this be a likely response?

Could it be a kind of growl? Nutmeg growls, though I've never noticed her doing it before a thump. It might be that he's not yet used to the noises from around the house (Nutmeg still dislikes the washing machine).

Elijah quite often does what I can best describe as an anguish kind of noise before he thumps, a moany almost cry noise, it's something he does when he's scared. He takes ages to calm down and be comforted when he does it :( Sometimes I can't even work out what is triggering it.

Gusts of wind are something that would be likely to cause Elijah to do this as well.

Elijah quite often does what I can best describe as an anguish kind of noise before he thumps, a moany almost cry noise, it's something he does when he's scared. He takes ages to calm down and be comforted when he does it :( Sometimes I can't even work out what is triggering it.

Gusts of wind are something that would be likely to cause Elijah to do this as well.

It was more like that than a growl/grunt. He still doesn't look relaxed, but I notice he has eaten a bit of biscuit. ;)

It was more like that than a growl/grunt. He still doesn't look relaxed, but I notice he has eaten a bit of biscuit. ;)

Yes that's what Nutmeg does, normally followed by a lunge and bite though rather than a thump. But I'm sure Spenser is better behaved than my norty Nutmeg. :lol:

I've had several who whine and then thump when trying to get some sort of message across; normally fear or annoyance.

I'm pleased to report that Spenser has now sufficiently recovered to maul a homemade treatball. :lol:

Just as well we have no young children visiting, although perhaps that might have been preferable to the sound effects of my family plaing their new CDs. :lol:

Back