• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does this look like mites?

RobinL

New Kit
Dear all,

Our 18 week old house rabbits recently went to the vets to be neutered. Two weeks later one of them has a little round scab on her back, perhaps half a centimeter across. I've tried to take a picture, which you can find here:
http://i.imgur.com/2fOuS.jpg

Does this look like mites? Is my best strategy just to buy something like this: (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/anti-parasite-spot-on-for-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs-by-beaphar-15792) and see if she gets better? Or should I try something else?

Thanks very much for any help,

Robin

i would definitely ask your vet how ever has he had a vaccination recently? charlie got a lumpy scab after his myxo one which laster quite awhile then went.

I'm not sure from the picture as I haven't seen them on a rabbit before.

However I did once find mites on my hamster's water bottle, tiny white ones sometimes called 'walking dandruff'. I had a house rabbit at the time, and was advised by the vets to treat both rabbit and hamster just in case, even though neither had any symptoms yet. They said that the pet shop ones wouldn't work, and prescribed both Wilson and Finx a course of ivermectin spot-on treatment. They went to the vet 3 times, 10 days apart I think, and it didn't take long for the cage to clear up :) Neither of them showed any signs so I must have caught them early.

It wasn't very expensive, under £30 if I remember rightly, and worked a treat!

Its a bit fuzzy (sorry - I know how hard it is to photo buns) . . does it have flakes of what look like white dandruff around it??

If so then probably is a mite and you should go to the vet who will prescribe for that specific mite for the size/weight of rabbit.

If now flakes - is the scab hard? And when did they have their last vaccination?

Thanks for the replies.

It's a hard scab with no dandruff. They haven't had any vaccinations as live inside and with no other animals, but obviously they could have picked up something whilst at the vet...

I've noticed the scab for the past few days - it hasn't been there very long.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

It's a hard scab with no dandruff. They haven't had any vaccinations as live inside and with no other animals, but obviously they could have picked up something whilst at the vet...

I've noticed the scab for the past few days - it hasn't been there very long.

Could the rabbits have bitten each other? Or any other pets that could of bitten?

I don't think it's a bite but it's possible. She (Rory) lives with her brother (Myshkin), and they seem to get along well together. I've never seen them fighting or anything. They're both now neutered.

They don't have contact with other animals (apart from their recent visit to the vet), they live indoors and we keep them clean. I'll see if I can get a better photograph later.

If theyve recently been neutered are they separate as it takes a few weeks for hormones and infertililty to settle??

:wave::wave:

It looks like a bite or perhaps a healed puncture would of some sort..

Last edited:
I didn't separate them after been neutered so it's possible that she has been bitten. It certainly looks just like a standard puncture wound with a scab over.

I'll keep a close eye on her for a few days to see if it's healing or whether she's scratching. Hopefully she'll be ok :)

Thanks for the advice.

I didn't separate them after been neutered so it's possible that she has been bitten. It certainly looks just like a standard puncture wound with a scab over.

I'll keep a close eye on her for a few days to see if it's healing or whether she's scratching. Hopefully she'll be ok :)

Thanks for the advice.

She wont be pregnant, but boy bunnies never know when to stop.xx

PS ALL bunnies need vaccinating against Myxomatosis twice a year and VHD once a year whether indoors or out.

Myxi is carried by biting insects such as fleas, mites, or (most commonly) mossies; VHD is carried by nearly anything and can be brought in on shoes. clothing etc.

It is essential even indoor rabbits are vaccinated as mossies will bite them.

Your vet should have mentioned all this at time of your consultations.

PS ALL bunnies need vaccinating against Myxomatosis twice a year and VHD once a year whether indoors or out.

Myxi is carried by biting insects such as fleas, mites, or (most commonly) mossies; VHD is carried by nearly anything and can be brought in on shoes. clothing etc.

It is essential even indoor rabbits are vaccinated as mossies will bite them.

Your vet should have mentioned all this at time of your consultations.

This. They are just as at risk for vhd and very nearly as much for myxi as if they lived outside. If my vet thought indoor rabbits didnt need vaccs I would change vet straight away, as they obviously don't know much about rabbits.

I would take your rabbit to a rabbit savvy vet asap to rule out things like mites that may have caused the scab.

Back