• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help - sparkle is dead - UPDATE Kane has gone too - see new post

JLG

Mama Doe
sorry for the urgent message but I'm hoping some of you might have some ideas. Tonight I got home and found Sparkle dead in the run :cry::cry::cry:. She had obviously been dead for most of the day, judging by the fact that she was starting to go floppy again and there was only enough poops and wee for 1 bunster in the hutch. Kane was hopping around as usual jumping and over her body, obviously having got used to the fact that she's gone.
I have phoned the vet and my rabbit vet is at work in the morning and I've asked for her to give me a call, I would like a post mortem done, more for Kane's welfare, in case there's somehting that might affect him too. I have absolutely NO IDEA what could have caused this. They were both fine this morning, they free ranged for an hour as usual, eating the lawn, and then they went into the run with their usual hay and a few veggies. And tonight she's gone.
Can anyone suggest what might have happened? There are no signs of trauma, no runny bottom, nothing around her eyes or mouth.
I am so worried about Kane, but he is eating fine tonight. i have let him out of the run while I cleaned the hutch but I've put him back in again instead of free ranging all evening like they usually would, in case they have eaten somehting that I haven't spotted. But would a poisonous plant work that quickly? Could it have been her heart? (they are both rexes) - but she had never had any heart problems that I knew about. There are no signs of anything (fox/cat etc) trying to get into the run.

I'm desperate for any clues as to what happened to my beautiful, grumpy sparkly girl.

RIP Sparkle, I'm so so sorry I don't know what happened to you but I will look after your Mr Kane for you.
xxxxx

thanks for any help you can give

Last edited:
I'm so sorry.

I can only surmise but it is possible for the sight of a predator to cause them to die from shock.

RIP Sparkle. :cry:

I have no idea, but I'm so sorry Sparkle is dead. Binky free Sparkle. And nose rubs to Kane. :(

What a dreadful shock :cry: I am so sorry :cry:

Really only a PM will offer any chance of finding out 'why'. Although even a PM can prove to be inconclusive. I dont think tissue sampling will be viable by tomorrow morning unfortunately.

There are many possible causes of sudden death and the following are just some of them, but as I have said it is completely impossible to say for certain what caused poor Sparkle to pass so suddenly and unexpectedly:

Acute Pneumonia
Acute Bloat/intestinal obstruction
Ingestion of a Toxin
Myocardial Infarct or 'Heart Attack' - maybe due to an undiagnosed heart condition or as a response to fright eg presence of a predator, extreme weather conditions etc
Cerebral Haemorrhage or some other 'cerebral event', possibly due to EC
Choke
VHD

I really am very sorry :cry:

Oh I'm so sorry, what an awful shock :cry: :cry: I hope your vet can shed some light on what happened to Sparkle :( RIP little bun xxx

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet Sparkle bun. I hope your vet can tell you what happened xx

Binky free Sparkle xx

I am very very sorry, how heartbreaking.

I have had rabbits for 13 years. I found my first bunny died after I had him for 7 and a half years. No sign of illness, nothing.

Recently one of my older bunnies was not well in the morning. I made an appointment at the vets but he didn't make it, he passed away in my arms.

Unfortunately it is quite common that bunnies pass away very quickly. Many members and experienced bunny owners have had the same happen to them.

Very sorry for your loss. xxx

Last edited:
What a horrible shock for you, I am very sorry :cry: I hope a PM can give you some answers.

Binky free Sparkle xxx

Back