• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pairs or larger groups?

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
I am wondering what everyones views are on pairing up larger groups or is it better to keep them in a pair? In the wild they live in larger groups dont they?

I really think it depends on the bunnies and what is best for each individual bunny. There are pros and cons to both, and some bunnies thrive better in a group, some thrive better in a pair (odd ones thrive better as singles). There isn't a hard and fast rule, in my experience (I have three trios, two pairs and three singles).

I think I have been left feeling abit confused by the 'falling out' today. Was I trying to bond Hazel into Jake and Jassys relationship for my own idealistic views or was it for them? They were both quite happy together so was it wrong to try to put another one with them? I took Hazel in because her owners didnt want her and I thought I could give her a good home living with Jake and Jassy but was that really the best decision for J & J.
Do you think it will be okay to put Hazel back in a run next to Jake and Jassys so shes got company or should I just keep them seperate. I've put her back in her cage on the patio and she looks abit withdrawn. After being on her own for 16 months of her life she finally had some company and I think she was alot happy for those few days. If things dont work out with J & J I will definately get her her own husbun.

We made most of our pairs into 4s last year - and also have a 5 and a 6 - and the interaction is fantastic - I have been amazed at how much more is 'going on' than in a couple.

I don't think the rabbits 'fell out' because of anything relating to them, or their relationship. They fell out due to an error you made (don't worry, we all make them, we just have to learn from them) of increasing their space too much, too soon.

Having too much space, too soon encourages the running, chasing, circling and then fighting that we always try to sidestep by using a small space, as a general rule, for bonding.

They exhibited, to be honest, the behaviour one would expect to see in that situation, and if you hadn't, you would have been very lucky.

If you want to try again, maybe go right back to basics and start from scratch, moving far slower and following the rules closer.

I am scared about putting them together again. I first bonded them in a neutral space in the kitchen and then took them out to a neutral space in the summerhouse and then made them a garden which was neutral. None of these places are neutral anymore are they? Wont they remember fighting in the garden. How do I neutralise a garden? Would putting them side by side work?

You can put them side by side but that's obviously very different from bonding them.

You can reneutralise the summer house and the kitchen, and they likely won't be ready for the garden for a long time, but you can soak it in water (or heavy rain) and sprady the run, etc, with the same distiled vinegar solution that would neutralise the other places.

It's difficult to say, having not seen the fight.

I have a pair who scrap sporadically and I never separate, we just go on a car journey and for them that is enough. That is what I would have done if the rabbits have scrapped. If the rabbits were tearing full on chunks out of each other and injuries show up over the next few days I'm not sure I would try and rebond.

I think now, you need some time to calm down before doing anything with them, for all your sakes.

Last edited:
:). Yes, I will go to bed and try not to worry anymore. Yes, it was a big fight. Fur flying, rolling around in a ball. Hazel has a sore raw toe. Cant see any other injuries but will check again tomorrow. Probably not a good idea to rebond then?
Thanks for your help tonight Sky-o. I just feel angry at myself for not thinking. I was going so slow and then forgot all about it and thought they were bonded. Big lesson learnt today!!!! :(

Bonding bunnies and owning bunnies in general is such a learning curve. You've stuffed up, but you know what? We all do and all have and all will again and when we learn from that, it makes us better owners. It's important not to beat yourself up over it, just look at what happened and think what you would do things differently in the future and what you would take from this.

Over the next couple of days keep checking for injuries because often they are only identifiable when they have scabbed over.

For now, just go and get a good night sleep, don't worry about it, and wake up tomorrow feeling fresher and hopefully less traumatised by what has happened today.

We all make mistakes over time, and as sky-o says, it's best not to beat yourself up over them but to try to learn from them. Before the internet I made lots of mistakes, through lack of knowledge and experience, mainly due to not fox-proofing my out door enclosures when my previous bunnies lived outside in large walk-in runs. Unfortunately I had to learn in the worst way possible - through loss of my buns and piggies to foxes. I still feel guilt some 20 years later - which is why my summer run is like fort knox, and the buns come in the house for most of the year!

Anyway, I hope you are feeling better today - take a deep breath and take some time to think about whether you are up to trying again.

As an answer to your original question, both my pairs seem "lazy" together. They are just so content sleeping and eating and grooming each other, they don't do much else. I thought putting them into a group would be better as they would hopefully be more interactive with each other. Also, they can have more shared space in the long run, as they can have the whole house when they are bonded. I haven't done a quad before, but I have done a trio. Unfortunately, with the trio, one of the original pair seemed to get left out when her girlfriend took a preference to the male. I felt guilty for upsetting the original bond, which is why I have never done a trio again. I'm sure many trios do work, but I felt that I would rather have 2 pairs or attempt a quad rather than attempt to add a singe to an already established pair.

Thank you both of you. I have put Hazel back in the summerhouse next to Jake and Jassy but with a panel dividing them. Jassy did try to nip Hazel through the bars but seems relaxed now and even rolled over next to the bars. Jake and Hazel seemed pleased to see each other and were sniffing each other. Hazel seems alot happier being back in there. Didnt like putting her back in the hutch last night.
I suppose I will just leave them like this for the moment as I dont know what else to do.
Is it okay to let Jassy and Jake out into their garden or should I just keep them all in for the moment?

I would make sure that neither bunny can jump the panel because that's asking for trouble (you'd be looking to need something over 4ft high), but having them next to each other is a good plan :) If you get problems between the panels then you can cable tie mesh over the panels so neither can access the other :)

I don't see any harm with either option, to be honest.

I guess if you're intending to rebond in the immediate future then it's probably better to not, but if you're not intending to rebond (in the immediate future, or at all) then it doesn't matter so it should be fine :)

Back